cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right-clicking folders in Windows Explorer-integration crashes Windows Explorer(Win10/Dropbox Basic)

Right-clicking folders in Windows Explorer-integration crashes Windows Explorer(Win10/Dropbox Basic)

hErbsDK
Explorer | Level 4

Hi 🙂

I've just done a reset of my Windows 10- installation to get things working again (see my first thread on this forum :P), and now every time I right-click folders in the integrated folder (default left-side under Quick Access) my Windows Explorer (WE) crashes and restarts.

Here are the steps I've tried:

1. Searched like a mad man on this forum and on the web generally
    • Result: Nothing that helps me. Only thing I found was related to the Smart Sync from Plus - and I am Basic (as it is now anyhow - don't need a whole lot of space as it is). I also do not have any selective sync'ing set up.
  2. Reinstall the desktop app
    • Result: No change. WE still crashes everytime I right-click
  3. Verify Windows-files to be on the safe side (sfc /scannow)
    1. Result: Things are fine - just reset it all hehe 🙂

Note: Left-clicking Dropbox-folders opens them up without crashing - and right-clicking Dropbox-folders in the actual uhm - "browser"-part of WE works fine too

Now - as I don't think there's much else I can do before asking here, I have to ask two questions:

1. Did I miss an article or thread that explains this? If so would it be possible to kindly ask for a link to said article/thread? 🙂
  2. Is it possible to get rid of the integration all together?
    • I usually just double-click the Dropbox tray icon as I've always done, but I also like sometimes to right-click folders in the WE-integration to open them in a new window (to make copying/moving files easier and so on)

Looking forward to your feedback.

//hErbs

4 Replies 4

Re: Right-clicking folders in Windows Explorer-integration crashes Windows Explorer(Win10/Dropbox Ba

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @hErbsDK, thanks for posting on the Community!

Are you running any other apps that use icon overlays, like other cloud providers? Could you try temporarily disabling them to see if this helps?

You can also try disabling Smart Sync completely by deselecting the Dropbox system extensions on this page.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Right-clicking folders in Windows Explorer-integration crashes Windows Explorer(Win10/Dropbox Ba

hErbsDK
Explorer | Level 4

Hello@Jay ,

Thank you for your ideas. I am not talking about the app dialogs this time. I am talking about the folder integrated in the folder view in Windows Explorer. Should've made a screengrab - so here it is:image.png

Upon right-clicking any folder in the Dropbox-part of this list Windows Explorer crashes. (not going to show my actual folders) It's an issue with the right-click context menu I guess.

As for disabling Smart Sync, this isn't an option for me. I am a Basic user = no Smart Sync. I only gave it as an example to what I found while searching for a solution. I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear - I tend to write too much, and I guess in skimming a message it gets missed.

TLDR: *points at thread subject*

//h

Jay
Dropboxer

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

hErbsDK
Explorer | Level 4

.. and hello again @Jay 

I'm sorry, but I've just been through all this stuff in a different thread, so I have tried all the "standard" steps. Please just tell me if it's a known issue or not that this happens. If not I will move on to the other party in this: Microsoft. If it isn't a known issue - maybe this could help some way in the development process avoiding it. However since it's probably a unique thing going on here I totally understand if that wouldn't be the case.

Apologies for the impatient tone - I've been on the other end of this type of conversation too often to not recognise the need to make sure basic steps have been taken. However - right now I just need some clarification. I guess this is sort of QoL-stuff, and well .. I can live with it.

OK to sum up: Please tell me if this is a known issue - or tell me if it's possible to disable the Explorer "root" integration (see image in previous post)

Thanks

//h

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?