cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running on External Drive

Running on External Drive

Martin A.2
New member | Level 1

I want to shift my Dropbox folder from my Hard drive to an external drive. I understand this can be done using DropboxPortableAHK. Is this possible?

14 Replies 14

Re: Running on External Drive

Rich
Super User II

Dropbox does not support external hard drives. The DropboxPortableAHK app was something developed by a third party. You would need to ask them.

http://nionsoftware.com/dbpahk/

Rhett G.
Helpful | Level 5

Seems like this is the answer for PC and soon hopefully for Mac http://www.boxifier.com/

Kenneth I.2
New member | Level 1

It's absolutely possible. Am I the only person on the forums who believes this? 😉

It was easy for me to put my Dropbox folder on my external drive. No Boxifier, no external app, no addition.

Just go to preferences, then to account, then to location. That will let you move your Dropbox folder to a new location, such as your external drive. There are just a few things you have to be careful about: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/89

Robert S.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

It's absolutely possible. Am I the only person on the forums who believes this? 😉

In fairness, you're not. There are a lot of posts here from people who also mistakenly thought it was a good idea and who suffered data loss as a direct result of that erroneous belief.

Bottom line, Dropbox don't support removable drives and have never supported removable drives. If you use a removable drive, you are playing Russian roulette with your data and it will ultimately come back and bite you. Don't believe it? Open a support ticket and ask Dropbox yourself.

Kenneth I.2
New member | Level 1

In that case, I'd like for you to explain how it would cause data loss. What would the mechanism be? As far as I can tell, having it on a drive that I don't have connected very often is safer than having it on a drive that's running all the time, and hence can fail at any time.

I see no evidence that the way that I use Dropbox on my drive will cause Dropbox to fail, any more than Dropbox has failed on other computers.

At any rate, if not Dropbox, then what? I need a program that would (1 let me back up an external drive, (2 not delete data just because I haven't connected my external drive in months, and (3 be at least somewhat as cool as Dropbox is.

So I'm all ears if you know of a program that works like a charm with external drives. 😉

Kenneth I.2
New member | Level 1

Well alright, Super Users, you scared me away from Dropbox and the $99 annual cost. I'm using IDrive instead now, since it unabashedly supports external drives, no strings or cautionary statements attached.

Also, I realized that IDrive better meets my needs anyway. IDrive won't delete files online if I delete them from my computer, and it won't delete files from my computer if I delete them online.

Thanks for saving me some $$$ 😉

Dr dt o.
New member | Level 1

I was not aware of iDrive, but apparently, it solves the problem of using external drives. As a Dropbox Pro user, I am disappointed with Dropbox's stance on providing tihs ability to us users. We should NOT be in danger of losing our data because we want to store it on external drives and use Dropbox from one or more computers. If this issue is not fixed by the time my subscrption expires, I will vote with my wallet! It's a shame because I was a satisfied customer unitl this issue rose.

Rhett G.
Helpful | Level 5

I agree, it's an astonishing strategic weakness and a failure of leadership and management that Dropbox have not acted and sorted this issue within say a 3month time frame.

Kenneth I.2
New member | Level 1

I think the trouble with Dropbox's lack of support for external drives is that people have more and more digital media, and yet internal hard drive space is often pretty small -- especially with the shift to solid state drives.

It's a free economy and Dropbox can choose not to support external drives, but as long as they hold this stance, IDrive is getting my money instead.

I'd also note that IDrive doesn't delete your data automatically if you delete it from your computer, and doesn't make you connect your external drive frequently in order to keep your data. Some companies do, especially the 'unlimited' backup ones. (Crashplan also looks good.)

Oh, and I cited this thread when Dropbox asked why I was cancelling my account.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lauralop l. New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    Kathy P.9 New member | Level 1
    Alexis G.1 Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?