cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SIlent Removal of Dropbox

SIlent Removal of Dropbox

Kiadose
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Hello, I was looking for a way to silently remove dropbox. I need to do this for a company. I am trying to use DropboxUninstaller.exe /s in SCCM but it's not working. It pops up a box asking if you want to uninstall. I tried looking through the forms but it seems this question has been totally ignored by Dropbox every time it is asked. They really don't like to support anything that would be useful admin wise. In fact pretty much everything I look for on here goes ignored. I am sure this will too but worth a shot. Maybe years later they will have figured out how to click the reply button. For reference, this was posted in 2015 and has been ignored by Dropbox staff since https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/Silent-Uninstall-of-Dropbox-3-8-5/td-p/... Idk how they get customers when their support does not exist. I find nothing but ignored posts whenever I search for anything here.
15 Replies 15

Kiadose
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Here is a link to the script as Jay suggested uploaded to my TechNet account. If anyone wants to use this just save it as a batch (.bat) file and it can be silently run in SCCM or anything like it. If you want to run it outside of SCCM you will need to add admin rights to the script or it might not work. The script is notated with REM as to what it is doing. I give no guarentees with this script but it removed it from my users systems with no problem.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Dropbox-Removal-via-SCCM-063fdd08#content

Hope this helps if it does click the like button.

If you are wondering how I did this so you may apply the same idea to other things in the future I used Revo Uninstaller, ran that for Dropbox where it launched the uninstall I just cancelled then had it scan the remaining registry and folder entries and exported that. I then wrote command for every entry left over in order to achive what you see in that link but first starting out by killing the dropbox process in Task Manager so the folders wouldn't get locked down by users using it and finished it by writing in something to remove desktop icons and start menu pins. 

YellowPoppy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

If Dropbox is an enterprise level solution, there should be a command line uninstall option.  This doesn't seem like a long term solution.  Has Dropbox tested this?  I also want to add the uninstall feature in SCCM.  Are the dropbox engineers working on the command line silent uninstall feature for the next release?

I tried the script and it did not completely uninstall Dropbox.  It may be very specific to that environment.  I don't have the tfadmin user.  It's not an enterprise level solution.

Kiadose
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I have no idea if they are working on it. I would say probably not. Most people you ask who work in Enterprise will tell you Dropbox is not ready for Enterprise but people will still pick it up. Like I said above.

You made a good catch with those user files. I actually did not notice that. It would have to be scripted to go through each user looking for those file which can be done with more scripting.

I will have to update it to be freindly for all users then repost. Thanks for the catch.

Kiadose
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Alright I edited the script. I actually just cut out the part with the user in it. All that was stored there were install and log files. Like I said before it's a messy uninstall but it will remove the application and prevent it from running any processes. It is the closest thing to an enterprise removal they have now.

Kiadose
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Just an update I was able to adjust the script to make this a clean removal all Items will now be removed with this. 

dands_andy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just used:

%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Dropbox\Client\DropboxUninstaller.exe

And that worked fine for InTune and I'm sure it would work for SCCM

Need more support?