cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

STOP Choosing A Default Folder For Me, Allow Me To Choose Default Drive

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hey Dropbox, would you STOP automatically selecting and syncing a folder? We have a business account, and we are trying to move the folder to a networked drive -- but your stupid install system won't let us pick a destination drive before the install and sync starts.

So we try moving the folder via "Dropbox Folder Location" under OSX Preferences -- and it's hanging up and not moving. This is beyond annoying and ridiculous. Allow us to choose a default location/drive before you start the download/sync process. This is file management 101.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: STOP Choosing A Default Folder For Me, Allow Me To Choose Default Drive

Super User II
Super User II

You can do it - you just need to choose the 'advanced' install option

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Let me first say thank you for the response, it was straightforward and appreciated.

We did not see any "advanced" tab or dialogue box as an option, not on this fresh download/install. As soon as we launch the downloaded Dropbox app, and then enter user/pass, it immediately creates the default Dropbox folder and starts syncing -- at a target location precisely where it was going to cause a major migration issue for us. This is a problem, because we have a ton of data, and we need this pointed at the correct networked drives before any other process launches.

I did find a workaround -- deselect all synced folders save one small folder, then you can choose a destination drive/folder/location. We're having to do this because we've finally upgraded to OSX 10.14.1; we always wipe drives and do a fresh install with each major upgrade.

Bottom line, the default should be to ask me for a target location. Not a newb -- did not see "advanced," no dialogue box or option to select target data location -- and even when we did try to move the default Dropbox folder location when the sync/install started, the entire application stalled and hung. Garbage.

The default option, one that is obvious and not hidden behind menus -- which none of us saw -- should be to ask users for their target location. Period.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

The Advanced options link which allows you to specify a different location appears on the page immediately after entering your email address and password.

Also note that Dropbox does not support networked drives. You may be able to get it to work, but it's not supported at all, and can cause data loss under the right conditions.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?