cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salesforce integration - use VF component with different objectId?

Salesforce integration - use VF component with different objectId?

w_l
Explorer | Level 4

The help page for creating a VisualForce page for custom Salesforce objects suggests making use of the Dropbox VF component, like this:

<apex:page standardController="INSERT—API—NAME—HERE" docType="html-5.0" showHeader="false" sidebar="false" applyHtmlTag="false" applyBodyTag="false">
<Dropbox_for_SF:Dropbox />
</apex:page>

Unfortunately, the component doesn't appear to allow for passing a specific record ID. Instead, it seems to get the record ID from the context (contextObjectId perhaps?). This probably works for most use cases, but let's say I have an object called Book, and another object called Author. Each Book record has an Author field, and I want to display the Dropbox folder for the book's author on the Book record page. I don't just want to show the Dropbox folder for the Book being viewed - I want to show the Dropbox folder for a different object, with a different object ID (saved as a field on the object being viewed).

Has anyone been able to achieve anything like this? I considered using the Embedder library within a LWC but the problem is that I would have to create a link for every subfolder (it's a private, shared folder with many subfolders). I could maybe do that programmatically via the controller, but that seems clunky given that a Dropbox-Salesforce integration already exists.

tl;dr: i would like to do this

<Dropbox_for_SF:Dropbox objectId="[some objectId that differs from the ID of the record being viewed]" />

3 Replies 3

Re: Salesforce integration - use VF component with different objectId?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @w_l; welcome to the Dropbox Community and happy Monday!

In order to work with Custom objects, you’ll first need to create a Custom Visualforce Page with code you mentioned.

From there, the value for standardController will need to be replaced with the custom object API name. You can find the API name of your custom object by following the steps in this Help Center article:

Finally you'll need to add this Visualforce page to the custom object layout following the same steps as a standard object:

Let me know if that does the trick for you please. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

w_l
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter, thanks for the reply. I think you misunderstood my post. I'm aware that I can replace standardController with the custom object API name. I would also like to be able to pass a specific object id, which will be different from the ID of the record I am currently viewing. For example, if I'm looking at the record page for a specific Contact record, I don't want to load the Dropbox folder for that contact; I want to load the Dropbox folder for that contact's organization record. Do you have any suggestions for how to achieve that? Cheers

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @w_l, in order to look into this further, I'd recommend contacting the support team directly as they would have more knowledge on this subject.

When you get a response, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?