cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save as in Word Online

Save as in Word Online

petholla
Helpful | Level 6

I cannot seem to save word files in different format (e.g. PDF) when using Word Online through dropbox. The options are there if I work on documents on office online directly with OneDrive backend. Is this expected?

save as - dropbox.jpg

save as - onedrive.jpg

5 Replies 5

Re: Save as in Word Online

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @petholla,

Currently the Microsoft Office Online integration doesn’t allow you to be able to use “Save as” option to save a document back to your account as a different file type.

What I can recommend though is trying to “Print” the document instead which will give you the option to save the file as a .pdf. If you don’t have a printer connected and see the options greyed out from the print window, you can click cancel and you should still see a pop up on the window to “Open a printable PDF of your document”.

While this isn’t the exact function you wanted, I hope it offers you an easy(ish) work around for what you want to achieve. Please just bear in mind that you will need to download the file then upload it to your Dropbox account as you won’t be able to save it directly back to Dropbox in this format.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

petholla
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you for the quick response! This seems to be the second difference (first was the inability to change autoCorrect options) compared to the stock Word Online offering. Is it documented somewhere what's not available in the Dropbox intergration so I can look it up next time I cannot find something? Would be really helpful!

Thanks,

Peter

Daphne
Dropboxer

We don’t currently have a comparison of the features/options available on different platforms available. What I would suggest is that this is a questions better directed towards Microsoft Support themselves as they would have an insight into both instances.

In general I would say (which is also shown by your screenshots) that the Dropbox Office Online integration is more simplistic as it is designed to offer a simple way to open and edit your documents. 

Hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

petholla
Helpful | Level 6
My understanding is that the office online integration is part of the Dropbox plan I’m subscribed to from Dropbox and not Microsoft. Is that not the case? Or is it through my separate Office365 subscription? I’m a little confused why I’m being sent to Microsoft to query about a service I believe I’m getting from Dropbox. I just happen to use the service from Microsoft directly as well and so I noticed these differences. I totally understand if the integration only provides a subset of the features offered by Microsoft but I would really expect the answer from Dropbox who I’m paying for the service to.

Daphne
Dropboxer

I appreciate you bringing up these discrepancies with the features offered across the different platforms, so I’m going to try doing some further digging and see if I can find out any other info about this for you from our side.

I’ll make sure to update you as soon as possible hopefully with a little more info regarding your original question!

Just to clarify the reason why I suggested contacting Microsoft, is that while we have an official integration between our platforms, ultimately it is still a Microsoft product. So my thoughts were that they have a better insight as to what they offer for other platforms too (eg. OneDrive) and would be better suited to answering this question.

In the meantime, I hope you have a great day - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?