cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving a file from Safari on iPad requires adding an email, so I “share” it with myself

Saving a file from Safari on iPad requires adding an email, so I “share” it with myself

mrdanimal
New member | Level 2

I just want to save a PDF from Safari, so I use the “share” button to send to Dropbox. Every other cloud storage app seems to know that I just want to save a file, but Dropbox requires an email address, so I have to share it with myself. Then I get a notification and an email helpfully informing me of what I just did. Does anyone know, is there a way to simply save a file to my Dropbox? This seems bizarre that they assume you want to send a file to some else.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Saving a file from Safari on iPad requires adding an email, so I “share” it with myself

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @mrdanimal, thanks for posting your question to the Dropbox Community! 

If you open an image on Safari, you should be able to press down on the image, then either "Add to Photos" or "Share".

If you add the file to your device's photos, you should then be able to open the Dropbox app and upload the content there. That's one way to do it. 

However, if you press Share and scroll down to the menu, you should see a Save to Dropbox option. That would allow you to choose the designated path for you to save your content. 

Do you see something different on your end? If so, would you mind sharing a screenshot of the options you see? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Saving a file from Safari on iPad requires adding an email, so I “share” it with myself

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @mrdanimal, thanks for posting your question to the Dropbox Community! 

If you open an image on Safari, you should be able to press down on the image, then either "Add to Photos" or "Share".

If you add the file to your device's photos, you should then be able to open the Dropbox app and upload the content there. That's one way to do it. 

However, if you press Share and scroll down to the menu, you should see a Save to Dropbox option. That would allow you to choose the designated path for you to save your content. 

Do you see something different on your end? If so, would you mind sharing a screenshot of the options you see? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

mrdanimal
New member | Level 2

Thanks! It wasn’t there, but I clicked “Edit Actions” and saw that “Save to Dropbox” was disabled, so I enabled it, and now all is well!

Lori
Dropboxer
Amazing news @mrdanimal!

Give me a nudge if you have any other questions.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    mrdanimal New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?