cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving files from iPad OS Microsoft Word to Dropbox precludes dashes in file names

Saving files from iPad OS Microsoft Word to Dropbox precludes dashes in file names

Helpful | Level 5

On iPad, I don't think I've seen this happen before. At least, I used to be able to save files from Microsoft Word to dropbox and use dashes in the file name. But no more. Word says it can't save because I'm using special characters. The dash is not supposed one of those.

However, I can save a Microsoft Word file with dashes in the name to any other location without a problem. Seems like it's just Dropbox, which is why I figured I'd start my quest here.

Anyone else getting this behavior? Tell me I'm not crazy and we used to be able to save file names with dashes to dropbox from iOS Word.

Thanks for your help in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Saving files from iPad OS Microsoft Word to Dropbox precludes dashes in file names

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid it was user error. When I was trying to save the file, I didn't realize that I had Dropbox open in the background. For whatever reason, MS Word was saying that I couldn't save with "-" as that was an illegal character. Word should have said that dropbox is open and that file is live. So, methinks it's a MS Word issue.

So, anyway, problem solved.

For the record:

iPadOS 13.4

Latest version of Dropbox.

Thanks,
Mahlon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Saving files from iPad OS Microsoft Word to Dropbox precludes dashes in file names

Dropboxer

Hey @Mahlon, I hope you're having a good start to your week so far!

Just so I can have a better idea, can you let me know which OS version your device is running, and the version of the Dropbox app that you have installed?

Also, can you let me know if you're able to manually upload the file to Dropbox when you save it to your device?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid it was user error. When I was trying to save the file, I didn't realize that I had Dropbox open in the background. For whatever reason, MS Word was saying that I couldn't save with "-" as that was an illegal character. Word should have said that dropbox is open and that file is live. So, methinks it's a MS Word issue.

So, anyway, problem solved.

For the record:

iPadOS 13.4

Latest version of Dropbox.

Thanks,
Mahlon

View solution in original post

Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear you got to the bottom of that @Mahlon!

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me here too with that info, I'm sure it will be helpful for anyone else who might be having the same issue.

If there's anything else that I can help with, don't hesitate to get back to me here.

Stay safe!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?