cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screenshots still going to Dropbox even after uninstalling the app on my Mac

Screenshots still going to Dropbox even after uninstalling the app on my Mac

jbarnaby
New member | Level 2

Hello

I have the Dropbox App intalled in couple of my Macs. Several months ago, I uninstall it from one of my Macs completely, but when I try to save a screenshot (like for instance, Command + Shift + 3), the file is saved in Desktop as usual, but after a few seconds, it disappears. When I check my Dropbox folder from another computer, the screenshot is there.

So even though I've completed removed the app from the Mac where I'm saving the screenshots, they are being sent to Dropbox by something (maybe there is a hook somewhere in the OS that was left behind?). I don't want nor need this behaviour, but cannot find a way to disable and remove what the Dropbox app left behind. I've checked if there is any Dropbox process running, but nothing. Any clues?

Thanks

Jorge.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Screenshots still going to Dropbox even after uninstalling the app on my Mac

jbarnaby
New member | Level 2

Thanks for your reply!

I actually found the issue with the help of your support team. 

I use iCloud on all my Macs, so the files on their Desktops are shared across all of them. When I'm saving a screenshot on a Mac that doesn't have Dropbox installed, iCloud syncs the file to the other computers, and one of them that has Dropbox on it, is seeing the screenshot file on it's desktop (even thought it wasn't a screenshot taken on that machine), so Dropbox is assuming the screenshot is from that machine, and moving it to the Dropbox folder.

Weird behaviour, as I would expect that only the screenshots taken on the machine that has Dropbox would end up in Dropbox folder, but I guess it's not straightforward for the Dropbox App to make that distinction.

Anyways, thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Re: Screenshots still going to Dropbox even after uninstalling the app on my Mac

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @jbarnaby, thanks for messaging the Community!

It sounds like the Dropbox desktop application is still running on that machine, which is why the screenshots are being moved to the Dropbox folder, and then syncing to the site. 

Firstly, could you check if your Mac device is visible on the devices page, and if so, remove it from your account. Afterwards, try these steps to fully uninstall the app.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jbarnaby
New member | Level 2

Thanks for your reply!

I actually found the issue with the help of your support team. 

I use iCloud on all my Macs, so the files on their Desktops are shared across all of them. When I'm saving a screenshot on a Mac that doesn't have Dropbox installed, iCloud syncs the file to the other computers, and one of them that has Dropbox on it, is seeing the screenshot file on it's desktop (even thought it wasn't a screenshot taken on that machine), so Dropbox is assuming the screenshot is from that machine, and moving it to the Dropbox folder.

Weird behaviour, as I would expect that only the screenshots taken on the machine that has Dropbox would end up in Dropbox folder, but I guess it's not straightforward for the Dropbox App to make that distinction.

Anyways, thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?