cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Password Authentication

Secure Password Authentication

David S.218
New member | Level 1

NSW DoE Schools are enabling SPA (Secure Proxy Authentication). Dropbox in its current form will cease to work for staff and students / free and paid versions. Dropbox client does not support securely transferred proxy  credentials and expects those credentials to be sent as clear text. This is
incompatible with the DoE’s security standards and until Dropbox updates its client, the syncing files at school will not be possible.

Any suggestions of how to solve this issue or do we just get everyone to move to another platform?

7 Replies 7

Re: Secure Password Authentication

Mark
Super User II

If I'm honest I cant see Dropbox updating it for one local region, but, you'd need to ask at www.dropbox.com/support

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

David S.218
New member | Level 1

Not sure how you define region. I am told NSW DoE is the single largest education network in the world. 790,000 students + 200,000 staff

Mark
Super User II

Small in the fact that its a relatively small user base - even if every single user has an account (highly unlikely) its still less than 0.2% of the current user base. Factor in to that how many have Pro accounts and that number will shrink even more. 

Dropbox have previously cut off people on older OS's etc. who cannot connect to its infrastructure saying that you need to use the website rather than client. I imagine the same to be the case here. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

LMT
New member | Level 2

Any progress on this? I pay for Dropbox because it has always been much easier to use, although the Department provide unlimited G Suite but and Onedrive but I don't find them as user friendly. However, if Dropbox can't work on DoE computers, it will no longer be the easiest to use across my devices (all iOS).

Mark
Super User II
No. Nothing.

adammckeown
New member | Level 2

Dropbox has really dropped the ball on this issue - especially considering that its competitors such as Box.com have no issues working with the DoE SPA protocols.

I would love to see this fixed so I can go back to using them.

Simon J.6
Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox lost me as a paying customer for this reason and the clumsy handling of Photos and Albums.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Simon J.6 Helpful | Level 6
    adammckeown New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    LMT New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?