cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Security Warning: Macros have been disabled

Security Warning: Macros have been disabled

flh
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm using Word 2007 on Windows 10 and am getting the "Macros have been disabled" error message noted in my subject line above. When I click on it, it says it's coming from Microsoft Office Security, and offers to allow me to "enable this content". My Word doc seems to be sincing with Dropbox all right, so should I ignore this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your swift update on the matter @flh - I hope my message finds you well.

I think macros are document specific but I would suggest that you used a more specific web search to find out more information about them.

That said, I wish I could help further with your queries, yet sadly, they're not within my scope of expertise and I'd hate to send you inaccurate information. 

If you have any further Dropbox specific questions, let me know and I'll be happy to assist in any way I can.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @flh - I hope all's well at your end and thank you for posting your question here.

First off, could you let me know if you get this error message when you work on this file with our desktop app completely closed? If it does, please send me a screenshot so as to have a visual of this too.

Also, are you by any chance using the Dropbox Badge (you can turn this option on and off from the Preferences of our desktop app if on a plan that supports it)

Last but not least, as you said your file is syncing fine, it is possible that the problem you're seeing is generated from Microsoft's Word, in which case you'd need to ask them about it. 

In any case, please keep me posted. Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

flh
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Walter--This just started recently, and this isn't the first time I've had security isues when Windows 10 updates. My guess is they don't like me using a different security program.

I get the error message whether or not Dropbox is open, and I do have a Badge. I'm sure it's coming from Microsoft. When I click on the error message, it pops up a window that says it's from Microsoft Office Security. My guess is it's Microsoft Security letting me know a macro is attempting to run. Does Dropbox use macros? And if so, why is Dropbox still synced with my document even though the macro is disabled? And if it's not Dropbox, I wonder what else is trying to run a macro?

dropbox snip.JPG

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update @flh - have you asked Microsoft about this directly? 

Another thing I would do in this case would be a search within the document itself to find the macros and verify that I need them (or not). 

Let me know what you find please.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

flh
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, I tried questioning Microsoft and searched a forum, but didn't get anything useful. How do I find the macro that is attempting to run? Sorry, I know just enough about computer programs to get myself into trouble. 🙂 I've Googled this question, but the only thing that pops up is how to enable or disable macros, but nothing on how to identify the one that is being blocked. I haven't personally created any macros, and this security warning has never popped up before, which is why I assumed it had something to do with Dropbox since I just started using it to backup my docs. It could have something to do with a Windows 10 update, as I've had issues with their updates before. I use Bitdefender, and Windows updates invariably mess with my firewall, etc.

flh
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

...and one other quick question. Are macros global, or does each document have its own macros? In other words, can I enable macros for the document I'm working on and have them only impact that document? I'm just real nervous about them since everyone online says they can be used by hackers.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your swift update on the matter @flh - I hope my message finds you well.

I think macros are document specific but I would suggest that you used a more specific web search to find out more information about them.

That said, I wish I could help further with your queries, yet sadly, they're not within my scope of expertise and I'd hate to send you inaccurate information. 

If you have any further Dropbox specific questions, let me know and I'll be happy to assist in any way I can.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?