cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting an application to open a file

Selecting an application to open a file

Howard M.5
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I want to open a .dcm file via Dropbox. (In particular, a Zip file file containing multiple .dcm files.)

I have an app(s) on my iPad to view this file type.

But I cannot specify it using the following method because it's not presented for selection:

Export a file to another app

Select the file you'd like to export to another app.
Tap the sharing icon that shows an upward arrow coming out of a box.
Tap the Open In... icon from the pop-up menu. A list of apps that can open the file will appear. Select the app you'd like to open the file.

Is there any way to do this ?

Thanks!

Howard

6 Replies 6

Re: Selecting an application to open a file

Howard M.5
New member | Level 2

Update and more information:

When I click on a (web page) link in Safari to download/open a Zip file (containing the .dcm files), it asks me what app I want to use. It presents MedFilm as an option right there, which is the app I use. That works fine.

So, why does Dropbox not permit me to stipulate the MedFilm app to accomplish the same thing ?

Curiously, it offers options such as copy to Evernote, Viber, etc.; apps which are not remotely relevant to working with .dcm files—of course.

Dropbox developers ?

Howard

Richard P.
Super User alumni

In neither case is Dropbox in charge of determining what application you can open the file with - in the case of the website, thats your browser asking (for Dropbox to know which apps you have installed on your computer would be a *massive* security issue) and in the case of the iPad Dropbox just asks the OS for a list of apps to display to you.

The other apps the iPad lists are all apps which can handle zip files, because that is the file you are exporting - neither Dropbox nor iOS look into the zip file, because its exporting a zip file, so thats the file type used. Your app thus has to be able to handle zip files.

Are you 100% sure that you have an application on your iPad which is capable of opening .dcm files inside a zip archive? Just because your desktop application can doesnt mean an iPad version of the software can - and if the iPad version cant, it wont show in the list of apps to export to.

Howard M.5
New member | Level 2

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for your interest.

1. I am using Safari on my iPad, not my Mac.

See this screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdbnzxo370ygytg/SS1.jpg?dl=0

2. I also have a folder of the .dcm files in Dropbox. I am successfully able to copy a .dcm file (one-by-one) to MedFilm as shown in this screenshot:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/ll73qyd0tp4622w/SS2.jpg?dl=0

MedFilm "accepts" and loads it.

A radiological case has hundreds of .dcm files, so this is not practical.

If there was a means of selecting all the files in the folder with one click, and then copying them to MedFilm (as above), that would, of course, work too.

Cheers,

Howard

Richard P.
Super User alumni

1. then Dropbox isnt getting involved at all in deciding what app needs to open the file, there is nothing at all that Dropbox can do differently.

2. there is no better way to solve this, the website can only offer one file per download, which means that your options are a single zip file, or lots of individual downloads which you have to handle yourself individually.

Im afraid there is nothing we can help you with here - MedFilm on the iPad needs to be updated so that it can handle zip files.

Howard M.5
New member | Level 2

Richard,

I'll have to accept your "pessimistic" conclusion.

However, MedFilm accepts a Zip file from Safari as an "intermediary"— as I indicated above.

So, it is not the problem, as such. It seems to me that Dropbox is— in this instance. Stated differently, Dropbox allows me to copy one file at a time to MedFilm, just not multiple files, or a Zip file of them.

Thanks.

Howard

Richard P.
Super User alumni

I see what you mean, sorry.

IOS has a limitation on how many files you can send to a different app at once, which Dropbox cannot exceed.

To pass a zip file, Dropbox would need to create the zip file and send it instead - you might want to suggest this as a feature request!

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard P. Super User alumni
    Howard M.5 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?