cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sync & Indexing

Selective Sync & Indexing

ckeats
Explorer | Level 3

Currently we have 40 machines in our company, we have a dropbox database of 200GB and we all are running the latest OSX 10.12.3. Some of our machines are setup for smart sync and others are downloading the whole database. Our search function on the machines running smart sync are having search issues. The search function looks to only find SOME of the information and is missing others.

For example I search for "Tom" it may find 10 files named tom but miss another 25 files with the name tom in the same location. This looks to happen alot with NEWER created files and it doesnt ever seem to find them even after being there for weeks.

I assumed it was some type of indexing issue but if i attempted to rerun indexing on smart sync machines it will take WEEKS to run (24hrs with sleep settings off and running 100%). After indexing it still misses the files or just doesnt see anymore files anymore. The search function on those smart sync machines also affect our Outlook search which now only finds some information.

After alot of testing ive found that:

This Search issue does not effect those machines that are not running smart sync or selective sync

Any machine that has a SMALL (30GB-ish) Dropbox Smart Sync Setup

Will happen on OSX 10.10, 10.11, or 10.12

Happens on fresh OSX installs or Updated operating systems

Happens on all machines running Office Suite and Dropbox

Happens with the latest Dropbox Beta 23.2.22

Happens with Filevault 2 turned on or off

So ive pinpointed the issue to dropbox or the combo of Outlook and dropbox. (Without outlook installed indexing still takes longer than it should). Does anyone have any recommendations i could try? im sorta running out of options and smart sync is better for my company compared to selective sync.

9 Replies 9

Re: Selective Sync & Indexing

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey ckeats

Thanks for the detailed description of the case, it'll be a pleasure to troubleshoot as much as I can from here!

Can you please make sure that you are running the latest stable version of the application on your device and try to check whether the issue with the search option works as expected after the downgrade? 

Also, you mention that other users in your team are having the same issue as well. Are they running a Beta version of Dropbox? Can you please advise them to go back to the latest stable version: "21.4.25" and see if this persists? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

wisamamid
Explorer | Level 3

I am experiencing similar issues using Dropbox v 28.4.14 with Selective Sync.

Spotlight search is not showing up results that are showing up on a few machines, while it shows on other machines. 

A few of the machines have been "Indexing" spotlight on the Mac for 4 days now. And it doesn't seem like its going anyhwere.

Another issue that I've noticed is that the "Download/Open" button that appears on the Dropbox website doesn't seem to appear anymore, even if the file is locally saved or Smart Synced (not locally saved) it doesn't show the button any more. This is on Google Chrome.

MacOS Sierra

Mark
Super User II
Can I suggest you post over on the official 28.4.14 thread? That way the team are likely to see it:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-28-4-14/m-p/225423#M4010

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ckeats
Explorer | Level 3

This issue still persistent even on the latest version 30.3.14. Anyone have any recommendations yet for a solution? or a place i can submit a legit bug?

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @ckeats

Welcome to the Dropbox community! 

Please keep in mind that there are some inconsistencies on some Beta versions, hence I'd like to ask you to go back to the latest stable version of the application, so as to get the best out of Dropbox. Just confirming here that our team is actively working on a fix on issues that have arised with the latest Beta build. 

Please share your feedback here, so that your comments get reviewed by our product experts. 

Thanks, 

JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

wisamamid
Explorer | Level 3

I am currently using the latest stable build 29.4.20 and I experience the exact same issues as the first post in this thread.

I have attemped the following:

1. Removed Dropbox and reinstalled it. I let everything Sync and Smart Sync

2. The indexing on Spotlight (macOS 10.12.5) had the same issue as mentioned above in the first post.

3. Reindexed Spotlight and it would show search results randomly. Some files that were synced would show up in the search results, and some that were Smart Synced (not physically on the machine) would show up.

What more can be done to fix this issue? 

Wisam

ckeats
Explorer | Level 3
Currently i have found no solution, even if i completely remove dropbox and let it sync regularly it still does not work. So this makes me think that a file is damaged during smart sync causing the system indexing not to work anymore. Even if dropbox was removed and you try reindex the damage is done and still doesnt work.

I got lucky one time by reinstalling the OS over top of the system but that only worked 1 out of 5 times i attempted it. Im currently speaking with dropbox trying to find a solution. The moment they give me anything ill post it here, so other people can avoid this problem. Also if you find a solution or see something similar that i may have missed let me know. Trying to collect all the information on this problem.

Glad im not the only one having trouble 😃

Thanks,

Cody K

meerestier
New member | Level 2

Any updates on this?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @meerestier - welcome to the Community!

Can you please elaborate on this so as to make sure we're on the same page and troubleshooting the right thing?

If you could also provide some additional information in regards to your setup (Computer's exact OS, our app's version etc.), it'd be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?