cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sync + external hard drive

Selective Sync + external hard drive

Brent-H
New member | Level 2

I run a video production company and often times have huge folders with a lot of footage. I often times am working from the road on my laptop, and sometimes have it docked at the office. Can I set up two users on my macbook? One that would allow me to use selective sync (on the road), and one that would allow me to have all files on the external hard drive when I am docked. I often times have to switch between projects that can be 100s of GB with the video footage, and it takes too long to sync each time. 

5 Replies 5

Re: Selective Sync + external hard drive

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @Brent-H,

So it’s possible to have a Dropbox account connected to different user profiles on your device. As the desktop app will see it as a “different device”, you would be able to apply different selective sync settings to each user profile Dropbox desktop app. You would need to just download, install and set up the desktop app on each profile.

Although, while you can move the Dropbox folder location, it isn’t recommended to move to an external drive due to the risk of data loss should the Dropbox folder become inaccessible at any point. 

Hope this info helps, let me know if you have any other questions - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

orlandiniigor78
New member | Level 2
miniSanDisc memoy
SD card 32GB,in my device instol alcatel pop 4.

orlandiniigor78
New member | Level 2
Također bi volio da ne moran rucno spremat memoriju

Rich
Super User II

@orlandiniigor78 wrote:
miniSanDisc memoy
SD card 32GB,in my device instol alcatel pop 4.

Dropbox does not support removable storage. There's no way to move Dropbox to an SD card.

Daphne
Dropboxer

From what I understand, the device you mentioned is a smartphone. In this case, with the Dropbox mobile app your files will not be taking space on your memory card unless they have been made available offline.

If you have some files available offline and would like to remove them from your device’s storage, you can follow these steps:

1. Open the Dropbox app.
  2. Tap the menu icon in the top left.
  3. Tap the option “Offline”.
  4. Click the vertical “…” next to the file and toggle off “Available offline”.
Hope this helps - Thanks!

PS. Apologies for any translation mistakes below as I am using an online translator tool.
-----

Koliko ja razumijem, uređaj koji ste spomenuli je smartphone. U tom slučaju, pomoću aplikacije Dropbox za mobilne uređaje vaše datoteke neće zauzimati prostor na vašoj memorijskoj kartici, osim ako nisu dostupne izvanmrežno.

Ako su neke datoteke dostupne izvanmrežno i želite ih ukloniti iz pohrane uređaja, slijedite ove korake:

1. Otvorite aplikaciju Dropbox.
2. Dodirnite ikonu izbornika u gornjem lijevom kutu.
3. Dodirnite opciju “Offline”.
4. Kliknite na okomitu “…” pokraj datoteke i isključite “Dostupno izvanmrežno”.

Nadam se da ovo pomaže - Hvala!

P.S. Ispričavamo se za pogreške u prijevodu u nastavku jer koristim alat za online prevoditelje.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    Rich Super User II
    orlandiniigor78 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?