Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Selective Sync menu buried too deep

Helpful | Level 6

Because of the file sync limit being so low, we are forced to selectively sync our projects. While that isn't conceptually an issue, the amount of clicks it takes to sync and unsync folders is untenable in the long run. It requires five clicks to get to the selective sync menu from the tray icon and the Dropbox File Explorer program. That is way too many clicks. The selective sync menu is buried way too deep.

There needs to be a faster way to get to the menu and there are many places where a button would naturally fit. This is one of the most used features of Dropbox in a business environment and it is very frustrating to require so much effort to use it. Some computer illiterate users also have trouble remembering how to even find it; I am dealing with this constantly because it is not user friendly at all.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Selective Sync menu buried too deep

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for posting your feedback @bandtank

How would Selective Sync be easier for you to use? Letting us know how you think about this will make this feedback even more helpful for us. 

Have you tried Smart Sync? Could this be a better solution for your work? 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I gave you feedback about how to make it easier in my initial comment. The button is buried way too deep in the menus. It should be extremely easy to find and use Selective Sync. Smart Sync is not a viable replacement feature nor is it even really a functional feature in a business environment given how inconsistently and unintuitively it behaves.

The issue here is the amount of time it takes to get to a menu that is used extremely frequently because file sync limits are too low. The businesses I manage work with millions of files on a daily basis and they are using the Selective Sync menu up to 10 times per hour. It takes around 30 seconds for the average user to get into the menu, so some users are spending up to 5 minutes per hour navigating to the menu. The button to open the Selective Sync should be right in your face so it is easy and quick to find.

In the Windows tray popup, the button should be as easy to click as any of the others in the top right corner:

Screenshot from 2019-12-16 09-43-01.png

In the Windows desktop app, the button should be as easy to click as the Share button or, at the very least, located right next to the Smart Sync submenu. It takes way more time to get to it currently than the Smart Sync menu, which is nearly useless for most people. It's like swapping the steering wheel with the windshield wiper fluid reservoir.

Screenshot from 2019-12-16 09-42-43.png

The Linux tray menu needs it as well. I'm sure the OSX client is just as user-unfriendly, but I don't have access to a Mac to take a screenshot.

Screenshot from 2019-12-16 09-43-29.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for adding all these details and the screenshots to your feedback @bandtank

Feel free to share any other ideas you have to help us evolve in the share an idea section of our Community. 

See you around in the Community. 

Happy Holidays! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?