cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sync menu is very slow

Selective Sync menu is very slow

keimba
Helpful | Level 6

I use Selective sync to limit which company folders I see on my computer. For a while now, it has been very slow when I try to add or remove a folder. Previously it worked fine. I will click one of the boxes to add or remove a folder and it takes a good 20 to 30 seconds for the change to happen. What's causing this and how can I speeded up?

Selective Sync.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Selective Sync menu is very slow

keimba
Helpful | Level 6

I was able to resolve the problem by reinstalling Dropbox. The help center article link below describes how to reinstall Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/41

After restarting my computer, I downloaded Dropbox from the following website:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @keimba,

If you haven't already could you just try restarting your device to see if that helps with the issue at all? This will refresh the desktop app and its visual elements so might just do the trick.

If not, then can you let me know which version of the desktop app you're using? Also, can you let me know the sync status of your app? It's possible if the app is trying to sync a large change (addition/removal of a folder) then it could be the reason for the slow response of the desktop app.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

keimba
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks Daphne. I restarted my computer as suggested, but there is no change.

The version is 81.4.195 and the Dropbox status when I'm having these problems is "up to date." The latency seems to increase as a number of folders increases. There is a noticeable lag for some folders but I'm seeing the (not responding) indication only for the folder with the largest group of subfolders.

It looks like the Dropbox Preference process is the one having trouble.

Task Manager for DB.png

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @keimba, thanks for the screenshot!

If you're noticing an increase in the response times of the app and CPU usage with an increased number of files, then it's most likely due to the number of files that you're trying to sync to your computer.

The performance of the desktop app can start to deteriorate when trying to sync more than 300,000 files to your computer. However, this is a soft limit and the performance of the app depends highly on your device and its specifications.

Could you just have a look into how many files are currently syncing to your Dropbox folder? You can do this by opening your File explorer and right clicking the Dropbox folder from the left panel. Then from the menu and choose "Properties", from there it should display the total number of files within the folder.

Keep me posted on your findings - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

keimba
Helpful | Level 6

Not that many. It shows 6,775 files. My computer at home has the same issue. Both are fairly new with moderately good specs.

dropbox properties.pngdropbox properties.png

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking on that @keimba!

Would you mind just checking out this article here to see if any of the points mentioned can help to pinpoint where this issue is arising? Finding what's causing that high usage should assist us in resolving the delayed/unresponsive preferences window.

Let me know if this helps - cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

keimba
Helpful | Level 6

I took a look at that article, but I don't think any of those are the problem. There were two that I don't know how to veryify.

3) Files in the Dropbox folder have incorrect file permissions

7) Symlinks are causing issues (followed the procedures for Windows but they didn't work).

Because I have the same issues on my home and work computers, my guess it that it has something to do with the way we have configured Dropbox. It might be #3 or #7 from above, but I don't know.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that out @keimba!

If you think it might be due to incorrect permissions, can you let me know if you checked out the steps here?

Also just to clarify, when you mentioned that you followed the procedure for checking for symlinks, can you just let me know how it didn't work out for you? For example, did it return no results or the commands seemed incorrect and returned an error.

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

keimba
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for your continued help. I ran the steps for incorrect permissions in the article but no change.

I also figured out how to look for symlinks. After typing 

dir "%HOMEPATH%\Dropbox" /a:l /s

and pressing enter the command window showed a long list of files in multiple directory locations. Are these symlinks and what can I do amout them? Many are in files that I don't recognize. 

Thank you,

Daphne
Dropboxer

It's my pleasure to help @keimba!

So it seems like we might have found the cause of the issue here with the symlinks. The command that you used there is to locate symlinks directly within the Dropbox folder.

The issue is caused when the actual file is located outside of the Dropbox folder and the symlink is within the Dropbox folder. The way to remedy this would be to swap the direction which can be done by moving the actual file within Dropbox folder and having the symlink external instead. 

The list that was generated from the command should show you the full path to every symlink and where the symlink is pointing to outside of the Dropbox folder so that you can locate the actual file.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?