cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Revamp selective sync

Explorer | Level 4

Will be good to have the implementation mention by Tom_M - Ignore folder (without selective sync), that implementation looks not complicated to do and have many users votes. But if You believe that It is very complicated, will be good to improve the Selective Sync browsers, currently is so complicated to go to a specific location and unselect a specific folder.

A quick propose: Any Dropbox Folder > Right click > Selective Sync > Open this location to unselect, select the specific folder quickly.

The most bored now is have to go directly to Dropbox Preferences > Sync > Selective Sync > and browser manually by each folder to select/unselect, that is not useful.

Highlighted

Re: Feature Request

Helpful | Level 7

I agree that having SFTP to access dropbox would be extremely helpful. SFTP is much faster at uploading files than dropbox (for initial uploading). I am experiencing first hand the delay in the sync and unsync option that dropbox provides when uploading large amounts of data. I am much more prone to reaching the 300,000 file limit count first than maxing out my HDD during syncing. When I add 50GB to dropbox it syncs and when it is done I use selective sync to make the data disappear from the local hard drive so I can have more room to add in more data to start the process again and again. I am adding daat from external hardd drives at the moment. The time after I choose unsync for selective sync adds more time that SFTP doesn't have to do becasue SFTP will upload the files with no need to sync.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
having SFTP to access dropbox would be extremely helpful.
Dropbox has stated in the past that they will never support FTP/SFTP file transfers. There's a lot more that happens during a sync process than just a simple file transfer. Files are stored differently on the Dropbox servers, and it's the Dropbox client that prepares them. They're split into 4MB chunks, hashed, compressed and encrypted, THEN they're stored on the servers. FTP wouldn't cut it.
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

I can see now why the ftp is not preferred by Dropbox. Rich. Thank you. Much is to be learned by the facts for which you stated Dropbox uses. Quite interesting indeed. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

How do you hit the vote option BTW??

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Dropbox could have a queue list of the syncing files and the ability to prioritize the order of the files. Sometimes it happens have a lot of files syncing and I need to wait a lot for the file I want to work on...
Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?