cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Our Community can help you set up and make Dropbox work for you. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Selective sync needs a right-click menu item

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

My team's dropbox is far too big to all sync on my machine at once. So I use selective sync. But it's frustrating to have to go through like 5 clicks to get to the right place in preferences every time I want to enable/disable a folder in selective sync.

Can we please just have a right-click menu in the Finder that pops you straight to the Selective Sync settings for the current folder? There are already right-click commands for other features...

25 Replies 25
Highlighted

Re: Selective sync needs a right-click menu item

Explorer | Level 3

I totally agree with that! Another thing thats frustrating for me, is that I use selective sync on 5 different machines, and each time i make a new folder, it shows up on all the machines. And I don't want that. An option that won't put new folders checked, in selective sync would be perfect for me.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

+1 that, totally true. Have to go through and prune all the unwanted new folders all the time, not fun

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I CAN'T BELIEVE
OMIT FOLDER FROM SYNC ISN'T IN THE CONTEXT MENU

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Well it's not like Dropbox actually cares about stuff like this.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

+100!!! Every day i do this several time!!!

Highlighted

Feature Request: right-click Selective Sync Off

Helpful | Level 6

Selective sync is great, but it is an odd workflow to disable a folder from being synced.

1. you are looking at your dropbox, realise there is something there or being synced you don't want filling your harddrive

2. get into the dropbox preferences, pick account, pick selective sync

3. wait for it to slowly load a list of all folders being synced, then present you with a folder structure to de-select things (very similar to what you were looking at in step 1 above)

We could skip this process 90% of the time if we could right click a folder and say "Selective Sync Off" (or similar wording)

Of course there is still the case of turning back on something you previously turned off, but that in my book is a rare event, and fine to do by the current long-winded method.

AC.

Highlighted

Re: Feature Request: right-click Selective Sync Off

Explorer | Level 4

Honestly, this would be such a huge improvement to managing files. I'd love to see this added as well.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I registered just to vote for this. Being able to plan what folders you want synced in advance is much better.

Say I want to use Dropbox to backup family photos and video. That takes up many GBs. I do not want these synced to my laptop or phone, I just want them on my main desktop computer.

I could go into web interface and add folders for photo and video. Then mark them "do not sync" as default. On my main desktop computer I could then set selective sync = on, and copy my photos and videos into the folders, knowing that they would not sync to laptop and phone.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

+1

Contextual menu - Selective Sync, uncheck

Not knowing if Smart Sync will become available for the Dropbox Plus plan, this FR would be highly appreciated.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?