cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending files in dropbox that are view-only and not downloadable?

Sending files in dropbox that are view-only and not downloadable?

Rob R.17
New member | Level 1

Hello,

I am just wondering if it is possible to send a link to a folder of files on Dropbox, only that the files can only be viewed and not downloaded by the person they are sent to?

We are trying to find out a way to distribute files with sensitive content to be viewed, but without the option to download and keep the file. Ideally access to a password protected Dropbox folder with no option to download the files included, which we could then change the password on once we wanted the files to no longer be able to be viewed.

Not sure if this makes sense, but if anyone could help me by telling me if this is possible on Dropbox, or any other suggestions, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Re: Sending files in dropbox that are view-only and not downloadable?

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

A file that is viewed has arrived on a computer (in other words, it has been downloaded).

If you are concerned about copyright then put a "watermark" on the file/picture.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

I'm afraid the internet doesn't work that way - if I can see it, I have already downloaded it, and if its viewable in a browser then its save-able.

Various companies try to sell solutions to this, but they are easily broken and aren't worth wasting your money on.

Rob R.17
New member | Level 1

Thank you both for your replies! I understand what you're saying and that makes sense. The files included data sensitive to the people they belong to, so unfortunately a watermark won't work. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions to this they would be much appreciated!

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Thank you both for your replies! I understand what you're saying and that makes sense. The files included data sensitive to the people they belong to, so unfortunately a watermark won't work. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions to this they would be much appreciated!

Unfortunately you are looking for the holy grail of data security - protecting data on a third party computer from that third party computer itself.  Can't be done.

Put it this way - the music, tv and movie industries have been seeking this from the moment someone realised you could swap their content on the internet.  They eventually gave up looking, because all they were achieving was spending lots of money on solutions which were broken after a few hours or days in the wild.

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

The idea that data is sensitive to the people they belong to

implies that you are trying to use Dropbox to do what a database should do.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rick M. Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
    Richard P. Super User alumni
    Rob R.17 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?