cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set smart sync "Online-only" as default

Set smart sync "Online-only" as default

New member | Level 2

I have a Dropbox Pro plan.

Am I able to set "Online-only" mode as the default for any new files added to the Dropbox folder? Or is that functionality only available for the Team plans?

3 Replies 3

Re: Set smart sync "Online-only" as default

Dropboxer

Hey there @dmn8r, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Since you have a plan with Smart Sync enabled, then you can set the default for new files added to your Dropbox account to sync down to your computer as "Online only".

To do this, you can check out the steps listed under "Make files added to the web default to online-only" from this article

If you're referring to instead making new files that were added to your account via the local Dropbox folder on your computer, this isn't currently a feature offered at the moment.

However, if you haven't accessed certain files for a few months, you can turn on the "Automatic Smart Sync" option to make these files online only after this time period. 

The steps to do this are also listed in the article linked above.

I hope this info helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Thanks for the detailed response Daphne. 

I'm pretty happy with this, particularly the auto smart sync for files that haven't been accessed for a while. The only feature I'd love to see is an option for files added to my local Dropbox folder to default to online-only. In practice, I only access my Dropbox files locally – rarely via the web. Is there an open feature request for this currently?

Dropboxer

Hi @dmn8r; happy Friday from me!

I'm afraid I couldn't find a relevant feature request so I'd suggest that you posted your idea on the relevant section of our Community so other similar minded users can locate and upvote it to show their interest as well: 

https:confused face:/www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/idb-p/101002013

Let us know if you come up with any Dropbox questions in the future and have a lovely weekend! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?