cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up devices

Setting up devices

tcseacliff
Explorer | Level 3
On my mobile dropbox on my basic account,says I am entitled to connect 3 devices, but in the app settings am only at 2 my phone and computer but cannot install the printer? there is no more “add another device button” for my third ? Plus the printer is asking for a dropbox address code to enter into the printer? This is difficult!?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Setting up devices

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @tcseacliff, thanks for posting!

The three device limit is only for official Dropbox apps, namely the desktop and mobile app. 

Your printer is most likely connecting to Dropbox using a third party app, and if so, you can check if that app is connected via this page.

However, regarding any specific codes, you'd need to check with the developer of the app and printer for further assistance on this matter, since Dropbox wouldn't send a code to add a printer.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@tcseacliff wrote:
...,says I am entitled to connect 3 devices, but in the app settings am only at 2 my phone and computer ...

Hi @tcseacliff,

You can check out what's connected to your Dropbox account in security setting (scroll down). If within device section are listed device(s) not supposed to be there, just wipe it/them out (left just your phone and computer).

@tcseacliff wrote:
... the printer is asking for a dropbox address code to enter into the printer? ...

Most probably your printer is asking for authentication code. If so, such a code you should receive on confirmation your printer connect to the Dropbox account. Exact steps to do this could vary and depend entirely on your printer supplier. Check out the printer documentation (there could be more info) or ask your printer's supplier. 😉

Hope this gives direction.

tcseacliff
Explorer | Level 3
I will try and find this information somewhere. did not remember having any “codes” presented or given at setting the printer up. This only became an issue when I wanted to scan a document and store on drop box on my mobile. Was just wondering why there is not another available button on the Dropbox app on the phone to fulfill the third connected device? The printer is asking for a code from dropbox to printer, not printer to phone?! Will truy later hope this works!! Thanks for the input !

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @tcseacliff,

From your last words, sounds like you are not sure what you are asking for! At the beginning is your printer support cloud work (especially with Dropbox) or not?! If there is no such support, what we are talking about? Dropbox application generally doesn't support third party devices. (at least not directly)

@tcseacliff wrote:
... The printer is asking for a code from dropbox to printer, not printer to phone?! ...

Usually, when another service (third party application or device, including device specific application on phone, for example) going to connect to your Dropbox (or other) account, there is a process of authentication (you confirm this access). Frequently used way is confirmation with a security code (despite not the only, but one of supported from Dropbox). Some devices could integrate such features internally, others use device specific (mostly provider specific) mobile applications to do this. Find out if your device or associated mobile application have such a feature. If there is, read associated documentation (or support, if any) how to use it.

Alternative could be export scanned document from your printer (seems MFD) application to Dropbox application. This should always work without additional authentication, codes, etc. Just one more step (transfer between applications) when you save a scan to your Dropbox account every time. 😉 That's it.

Hope this clarifies matter.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @tcseacliff, thanks for posting!

The three device limit is only for official Dropbox apps, namely the desktop and mobile app. 

Your printer is most likely connecting to Dropbox using a third party app, and if so, you can check if that app is connected via this page.

However, regarding any specific codes, you'd need to check with the developer of the app and printer for further assistance on this matter, since Dropbox wouldn't send a code to add a printer.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

tcseacliff
Explorer | Level 3
Found the documentation needed buried in the printer. All set. Thanks for the help.
Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?