cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Folder not visible in Windows App

Shared Folder not visible in Windows App

denis2000
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi

I have shared a folder from my Dropbox account with a number of people.  initially, my wife viewed the folder in my account on the windows app on her PC.  However, recently, she needed to create a new folder to share with some other people, so created her own account to which the Windows app on her PC is now linked.  She has access to my folder using a browser, but it isn't visible on her windows app.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks

Denis

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi again, Denis! Thanks for the info you’ve sent so far. 

From what I understand, the folder that she can’t see locally on her desktop app is the shared one under the name “Olivia Jane”, right?

Can you let me know what’s the syncing status of her desktop app, as well as the app version it’s running? 

Also, is there any chance that she removed this folder from her Dropbox app, in order to save up hard drive space? She can check her selective sync settings to verify that.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Is she definitely using the same email on both accounts (i.e. the one on computer and browser?). Test it simply by adding a file to the root of \Dropbox on the computer. It should appear when she goes to the website. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

denis2000
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Mark

Thanks for replying.  Yes, same email address used.

Denis

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

So she can see a file uploaded on the desktop when she looks on web?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

denis2000
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi

Yes - all files that I upload on the windows app on my computer are visible to her on her browser access.

Denis

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @denis2000, hope you’re doing well. 

If she uploads something from her own device instead, where she has signed in to the desktop app with her new account, is she able to see these files when visiting www.dropbox.com

From what you’ve described, it sounds like she is logged in to the desktop app with her own account, but on the browser she is still signed in to your own account, which is why she can see all of your files/folders. 

Let me know what you find!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

denis2000
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Nancy

Thanks for your response.  If she makes a change in one of her folders in her desktop app, they are apparent in her browser.  I also know this, because, I can't see any of the files she has in her account (I haven't been granted access) either in my own windows app or in my browser view.

Denis

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @denis2000, how exactly did you do the sharing? Was it a shared folder that directly syncs to her Dropbox account, or was it a shared link to a folder, which can only appear on the website?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

denis2000
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jay

Thanks for replying.  I am sure that I shared by inputting her email address, rather than sending a link.  To be sure, I have just done it again and there is no change to what she sees in the Windows app

Regards

Denis

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could you attach a screenshot of what they see from the Dropbox site and in the Dropbox folder on the machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Peggye3 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    denis2000 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?