Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared links won't open on Android

TriPold
Explorer | Level 4
If some one sends me a shared Dropbox link I can open it on Windows PC but not with my Android phone. And it seems I'm not the only one with this problem.

When I first klick the shared link it takes me to a page where it asks me to download the App even I have it already installed. Or I can continue to website.
My only chance is to continue to web.

Then it says that the file can't be opened. (I tried this with a mp3 file)
So I click the Download button.
At this point I can either save it to my own Dropbox or use direct download.
Well... I don't want to save it to my Dropbox so I try downloading the file. But it takes me to an error page that says: (Error 500) Something went wrong. Blaa blaa...

This never happens with a PC. I can straight listen to the mp3 file after clicking the shared link. Even Downloading is no problem. What is the problem on Android?
7 Replies 7

Re: Shared links won't open on Android

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey TriPold, I’ll do my best to investigate the cause of the behavior & help you work towards a solution on this matter, thanks for posting us on the Dropbox Forum! 

As this issue will need to be thoroughly investigated based on your account info, I’ve made sure to create a ticket on your behalf on our system, so as to check your account specifics on my tools & follow-up with you there. Whenever you have some spare time, please have a look at your inbox for my latest message & let me know here if you have any issues locating it. 

I’m looking forward to hearing back from you on our email correspondence, so as to work on that with you as closely as possible!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Mgregore New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, how did you fix this issue? We have the same problem here.

Thanks,

-Pier-Ann

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Mgregore,

Just so that we can have a better idea of your situation could you let me know some more info, such as if you're able to open the shared link via another device? Also, can you take me through the steps you're using when trying to open the link?

Finally, can you please ensure that there are no pending updates for your device's OS, the Dropbox mobile app or web browser.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

RobmOz
Explorer | Level 4
I'm having a similar issue. A link redirects to https://www.dropbox.com and I see the Dropbox page.

A box showing "PDF' is shown with the name of the pdf below it.

"Get the app" and "continue to the website" buttons are shown. Shouldn't it just open in the app if I have the app installed?

There doesn't seem to be a way to open the link using the app?

Thanks, Robert

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining the discussion here @RobmOz!

Can you let me know what happens when you try choosing the option "Get the app"? 

Also, can you please check to see if you have any pending OS or Dropbox mobile app updates? If not, can you let me know which version of the mobile app you're using?

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TriPold
Explorer | Level 4
I didn't actually do anything. Was just annoyed and let it be. After half a year I tried it again and it was fixed. I believe it was fixed in a update.

Try to update Dropbox via Google Play. If that does not help, check from your android settings if you find an update for it. You should find this almost from the bottom if you scroll down the setting list.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for updating us here @TriPold!

I'm glad to hear that this is working for you now and appreciated you letting us know here too. 

Should the issue crop back up again, please don't hesitate to get back to me here.

Have a great weekend ahead!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?