Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Sharing (Mac) and contextual menu

Explorer | Level 3

There used to be a contextual menu to select the item in Dropbox and then share it AND get a url for the item. I can find no way to quickly share an item anymore. I have to log-in via the web browser and then share it. Surely there has to be a better or quicker way. I searched the FAQs and can't find anything on it. I'm running Mojave. I tried moving the item to the root directory, then Public (which does nothing), then to a separate folder. Nothing works. How do I select an item and get a url to share?

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Re: Sharing (Mac) and contextual menu

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @montylee - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

From what I understand you're not getting the option to copy a shared link to a file you have in your Dropbox folder when you right (or command) click on it - am I on the right track?

Can you let me know what's your desktop app reporting at the moment within your computer's system tray/menu bar and forward me a screenshot of the options you get when you right/command click on your Dropbox files? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Correct. I get nothing that has Dropbox in the contextual menu (right or command click on the file). Although I'm an experienced Mac user, you totally lost me with your request for system tray/menu bar. I'm not sure what you are asking and how to get the information you need.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the reply @montylee; how are you today?

I'm sorry I didn't elaborate on my previous response. The Dropbox icon will only appear in your menu bar if the Dropbox desktop app is downloaded to your computer and running.

If this icon seems to "disappear," it's probably because the desktop app is inactive on your computer. To resolve, you can launch the application again or download (or re-download) the Dropbox desktop app and sign in to your Dropbox account when prompted.

Let me know how it goes!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Got it. No, the icon is always there. Dropbox is running. What I am referring to is I open the folder on my Mac that is the Dropbox folder. I then select a file I want to share, whether it is in the root directory or in a folder. It used to be that once selected, I simply right-clicked the file and one of the contextual menu items was the ability to copy the url so share the file. I no longer see that (at least with Mojave). I've attached a file to show you what I see. It also isn't hidden in one of the sub-menus (like sharing).Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 18.46.21.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @montylee!

Could I have a screenshot of the app's exact status as shown within your menu bar as well?

On a side note, do you see any syncing icons on the files you're trying to share? 

Let me know what you find!

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Is this what you need?Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 20.27.24.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Exactly @montylee; thanks!

I can see that the desktop app is having issues with connecting to the internet; could you reboot your computer and router and try again?

If that doesn't help, I'd check for any antivirus or firewall settings that could be preventing the app from connecting to the internet properly. 

I think this is the root cause of the issue you initially reported here so please keep me posted on your findings! 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

It has nothing to do with the connection. That shot was right after startup and I didn't capture it when it says CONNECTED. I'm connected. That isn't the issue.

The QUESTION is about the contextual menu and getting the item's url for sharing.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I see now; thanks for clarifying that for me @montylee.

Would it be OK if I reached out via your Dropbox email address to have a better view of the matter with account and device specific information? 

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?