cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sign in and link computer impossible

Sign in and link computer impossible

jrsv
New member | Level 2

I have a fresh install of a Linux system and I cannot link the app to my computer (UbuntuStudio 20.04 - XFCE4) as the "sign in" from the dropbox icon in the notifications area does nothing when pushed, it also displays "waiting to be linked to a dropbox account". If I enter preferences and view the "account" I can see "This computer isn't linked to an account" but I get no option whatsoever to login to my account. I have tried uninstalling and installing it again with no luck.

please help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sign in and link computer impossible

jrsv
New member | Level 2

following the tiny progress I had before, I decided to try to run "dropbox start -i" again, without the sudo, the result was a:

"Dropbox isn't running!
Done!"
I decided to insist with the same command that finally gave me:

"To link this computer to a Dropbox account, visit the following url:"
and allowed me to link again not in the root folder.

I really think dropbox should step up their support and documentation for Linux.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jrsv
New member | Level 2

after struggling for a long time with no clear guidance from dropbox, I finaly (by complete chance) ran "sudo dropbox start -i" and got a message I was not getting before that said "To link this computer to a Dropbox account, visit the following url:" this allowed me to finally link my app to my account, but I could not find any type of documentation pointing me this way or even mentioning this. This created a dropbox folder in my root folder, when I try to move it back to my home folder, the app behaves poorly again. I get the same messages from before.

jrsv
New member | Level 2

following the tiny progress I had before, I decided to try to run "dropbox start -i" again, without the sudo, the result was a:

"Dropbox isn't running!
Done!"
I decided to insist with the same command that finally gave me:

"To link this computer to a Dropbox account, visit the following url:"
and allowed me to link again not in the root folder.

I really think dropbox should step up their support and documentation for Linux.

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jrsv New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?