cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sign in to dropbox app "there was a problem completing this request"

Sign in to dropbox app "there was a problem completing this request"

SyxSeed
Explorer | Level 3

I'm installing a new Dropbox account across my devices and there have been no issues on my Macbook or iPhone. But my iMac only got as far as downloading the app and on the sign in part of 'set up Dropbox' after I enter my details it says 'there was a problem completing this request'

This is a brand new download of the app. I've already deleted it and tried again. And I've had the app on this computer before.

What could be causing this? 

6 Replies 6

Re: Sign in to dropbox app "there was a problem completing this request"

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @SyxSeed, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Do you perhaps have a Dropbox Basic account with 3 devices already connected to it (without the iMac)?

If not, did you maybe install any security apps on the computer recently, that might be blocking Dropbox from connecting?

If so, try temporarily disabling them or whitelisting Dropbox on them, to see if that helps.

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SyxSeed
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

I'm on a 2tb plan. Only my laptop and phone are connected to this new account. It's only been a week since a previous Dropbox account was taken off my iMac, and nothing has been done to the computer since that time. 

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update here!

Hmm, so no security apps, antivirus, proxies or firewalls?

How about if you try to install the application from our offline installer link? Does that work?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SyxSeed
Explorer | Level 3

Nope, none of those.

Tried the offline installer before I cam to the forums too; same result, unfortunately.

I find it really baffling, and can't think of what could cause this, nothing seems obvious. But if I can't get it sorted, then I'll have to cancel my plan 😕 I wish it came with an error number, or more info

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @SyxSeed, sorry to jump in here, but could you try something out for me and let me know if it worked for you?

To install the desktop app on your computer, please log into your account via a web browser and click on your avatar to the upper right corner.

From there, click on the 'install the desktop app' option.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

SyxSeed
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for offering an idea!

When I do that it just opens another page with the option to 'open dropbox', and pressing that just opens another browser window of the dropbox website.

I presume that's because I've already got the app installed, despite it not wanting to log me in.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SyxSeed Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?