cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since dropbox wont be reasonable, has the community came up with a way to solve the overlay problem?

Since dropbox wont be reasonable, has the community came up with a way to solve the overlay problem?

klepp0906
Collaborator | Level 8

So ive got overlays between different sync services (including dropbox) and things like git and svn, among a few others.

I have to pick my battles very carefully, and situate them in such a way that the most important ones work due to microsoft refusing to update things on their end to accomodate more than 15.

Now dont get me wrong, dropbox isnt alone in this - but theyre certainly by far the worst offender.   After the initial install -  ive had to regularly re adjust for just two softwares.  Dropbox and onedrive.   Now onedrive has moved to the status category and stopped using overlays.   Its purely dropbox.

I want to use the insider builds, but they update them so frequently that having to constantly delete the registry key and merge my backup regfile nonstop is obnoxious in the purest sense. 

so for now ive opted out of the insider builds, and every time dropbox updates - i have to go and purge my registry again and again.

seriously can we get with the program?  15 overlays, 2 are windows default (used to be like 9 if you counted onedrive) and you guys want to use 10 of them?  for real?   Even if you used 5, the fact you simply jockey over everything else with spaces is absurd.   Is there a reason for this?  

So ive just fixed your abrasivenes once again and im hoping theres a fix besides taking ownership and locking down permissions of that registry key.   This is becoming too much. 

2 Replies 2

Re: Since dropbox wont be reasonable, has the community came up with a way to solve the overlay prob

Rich
Super User II

@klepp0906 wrote:

... im hoping theres a fix besides taking ownership and locking down permissions of that registry key.

That's really the only effective way.

Re: Since dropbox wont be reasonable, has the community came up with a way to solve the overlay prob

klepp0906
Collaborator | Level 8

i would have already done it apart from 2 concerns.   1 of course being installation of future software that uses overlays and not knowing it (or having something change its overlays which dropbox and onedrive have both done in the past)

the second more important is my ignorance as to how one would back up a registry keys permissions to restore it to default.

In general, its likely not a key that would cause problems borked up, but ive learned the lesson many times to always know how to put things back.   The butterfly effect likes to get me.

I'm sure some 3rd party something or another exists that'll backup permissions though.   Or i could open a clean vm and just copy/do it manually.

Of course this wouldnt prevent it from dropping (no pun intended) a dropbox folder in my start menu every few days.  I'm telling ya, nowadays i begin to wonder about developers in general.  Dont seem to be many that have an understanding or appreciation for clean, tidy, concise, no cluttered or bloated UX etc.

admittedly ocd though.  so theres that. 

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?