cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Since reinstalling, the desktop shortcut is broken

Since reinstalling, the desktop shortcut is broken

EstragonHelmer
New member | Level 2

Recently, I got a little message in the Dropbox taskbar popup thing that asked me to reinstall it to fix the missing icons issue after upgrading to Windows 10.

I did so, and now I have a problem with my desktop shortcut to Dropbox.

Whenever I click it, it doesn't open the folder, it restarts Dropbox.

On my computer, there are now two possible shortcuts for Dropbox. One is the folder, the other is a 'desktop app'.

When I reinstalled, the shortcuts on my start screen and desktop no longer went to the folder, they went to the 'desktop app' so they just restarted Dropbox.

I managed to swap out the shortcuts for ones to the folder, but now, when Dropbox starts (every time I turn on my laptop) the shortcut on my desktop reverts to one to the 'desktop app'.

When I make a shortcut to the folder, its icon is the Dropbox logo, but when it reverts to the 'desktop app' one it has a white box behind the logo, which is what the icon used to be before I reinstalled Dropbox.

8 Replies 8

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi Ben,

Sorry about the inconvenience and thanks for all your effort!

As a workaround, could you:

- delete the two shortcuts

- manually create 2 new shortcuts, one for the folder and one for the desktop app?

(you can learn how to do so here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/create-delete-shortcut#1TC=windows-7)

What happens when you restart Dropbox or your computer then?

Many thanks in advance for trying this!

EstragonHelmer
New member | Level 2

Okay, not sure exactly what's happened now.

I added both new shortcuts to the desktop, after removing the current one.

When I restarted dropbox, they both stayed as they were, so the folder still opened the folder, rather than restarting the app.

I then tried deleting the app shortcut, so I ONLY had the folder one. (the one I want to have on my desktop)

Then I restarted Dropbox again, and this time, the shortcut remained as a folder shortcut, but the Dropbox logo has gone. it now just has a yellow folder icon like a regular Windows folder.

But, it seems to be working properly now, even if it doesn't have the logo. So that's good.

I'll let you know if it reverts to the app shortcut next time I restart my laptop.

EstragonHelmer
New member | Level 2

Oh no! Just figured out my problem!

It turns out that if the desktop shortcut (to the folder) it called 'Dropbox', it reverts to the app shortcut when Dropbox starts. BUT if I call it something else, like say 'Dropbox Folder', it stays as the correct shortcut when Dropbox starts.

I guess that's nothing I can fix, so for now, I'll just have to keep the desktop shortcut with the name 'Dropbox Folder'.

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Happy to hear part of it is solved now.

Could you confirm that inside the Dropbox folder with a-now-normal-icon, the overlays icons are still here?

Normally, when Dropbox runs, it should modify the folder icon back to a Dropbox folder icon. Let me know if in a few days it's not the case, we'll investigate further!

EstragonHelmer
New member | Level 2

Yes, the overlays are still showing properly.

And the Dropbox logo re-appeared after I removed the app shortcut, and renamed the folder shortcut.

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Okay, then I suppose you're good to go 🙂

Have a lovely day!

Brian G.49
New member | Level 1

This issue also happened to me once I installed an update to fix an issue with missing icons.  There was only a single desktop icon, however: a shortcut to the program and when clicked, it restarts the program rather than opening the Dropbox folder. 

I can only open the Dropbox folder to access my files if I do so from the system tray.

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi everyone!

I'll try to help 🙂

Dropbox creates only one shortcut on your desktop (blue Dropbox and white background)

- If the Dropbox app is running, double-clicking this shortcut opens the Dropbox folder

- If the app isn't running, the shortcuts starts Dropbox

The Dropbox local folder is also added to your favorites, but it's in Windows Explorer, not on the desktop.

Finally, to get more clarity on the shortcut, simply right-click on it and go to properties, it'll give you the path the shortcut is following.

Have a lovely day!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?