cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow camera uploads from iPhone

Slow camera uploads from iPhone

LMMT
New member | Level 2

Same problem for me, I usually copy only selected photos manually to folders in Dropbox and upload is extreme slow in my iPhone, exactly the same process in my Android was 10 times faster.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Slow camera uploads from iPhone

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @LMMT, welcome to the forums!

Regarding your query, if you’re using an iOS device, there is a possibility that iCloud is enabled and slowing your uploads, since it too is uploading to their servers at the same time.

You can check your iCloud settings by opening Settings > Photos 

If iCloud Photo Library is enabled, as well as Optimize iPhone Storage, this will save your full-resolution files in iCloud and store "optimized" versions on your phone.

Since the full-resolution images are stored in iCloud, the camera uploads feature needs to connect to the iCloud servers to upload each full-resolution image to Dropbox. This can be a slow process that depends on the strength of the connection to the iCloud servers.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @LMMT, welcome to the forums!

Regarding your query, if you’re using an iOS device, there is a possibility that iCloud is enabled and slowing your uploads, since it too is uploading to their servers at the same time.

You can check your iCloud settings by opening Settings > Photos 

If iCloud Photo Library is enabled, as well as Optimize iPhone Storage, this will save your full-resolution files in iCloud and store "optimized" versions on your phone.

Since the full-resolution images are stored in iCloud, the camera uploads feature needs to connect to the iCloud servers to upload each full-resolution image to Dropbox. This can be a slow process that depends on the strength of the connection to the iCloud servers.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LMMT
New member | Level 2

Thank you! I haven't tried without iCloud but will do.

iluvmini
New member | Level 2
I am not using iCloud, that’s why I am uploading to Dropbox and it is still ridiculously slow and that’s for pics. I can’t upload a video! What is going on with the upload speeds? Unusable application if you ask me.

Rich
Super User II
I use Camera Uploads without issue. I take a photo and it's on Dropbox in seconds. Videos obviously will vary based on their length, but they upload pretty quick as well.

I'd look at what else your device may be doing, as well as the speed of your connection. Also, make sure you're using the latest version of the Dropbox app as there were some issues with Camera Uploads related to the release of iOS 11, and the later versions of the app resolved them.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    iluvmini New member | Level 2
    LMMT New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?