cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload after one minute with sync only

Slow upload after one minute with sync only

joepike
Explorer | Level 3

I am using an optical line 1gbs download and 700mbs upload  ( lucky I know) 

Using a backup program for sending backup directly to remote location ( dropbox API) runs at very large speed like 300mbs or 400mbs ...Cool !

If I put the data on my dropbox folder locally and let dropbox do the sync it runs at 1.500 kbs and indeed takes hours to complete

I have tried about everything  ( stop, start reinstall, play with no limit on the bandwith etc ... it just stay slow )

I just discovered a strange behaviour :

Changing the setting for the bandwith from auto to nolimit , it goes immediatly after the apply at 4mbs ( not much but slightly better)

but this lasts for one single minute no more then goes back to 1 mbs 

Setting back to auto does exactly the same : 4mbs and back to 1 mbs after one minute

apply several times but staying on the same setting does not increase the duration ( no flip flap obviously)

clicking back and forth nolimit autonolimit auto nolimit auto and it will stay at 4mbs for as long as you click 

But still far from 400mbs 

It's got to be a bug 

( right now as a bypass , instead of doing my backup locally and sending a copy to dropbox, I send directly to dropbox and sync to my local disk via download at 500 mbs !!! but I find ridiculous to send my data both ways trafficjamming the internet, just because sync does not work properly on upload )  

5 Replies 5

Re: Slow upload after one minute with sync only

joepike
Explorer | Level 3

I did some more tests

Used a VPN and tried from several countries even my own but it did not change anything.

I used the Dropbox Upload facility  ( upload button on "file" )  from the browser and immediaely uploaded a file at the speed of around 200mbps  and few seconds later the file was automatically downloaded to my HDD at a speed of around 300mbps.)

That means the provider , my PC or Dropbox site are all ok

Only the upload sync facility is failing ( according to the icon the sync from yesterday evening will complete in 8 hours time ) 

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @joepike, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Do you see the same faster speed when you initially launch the app (or when you quit and relaunch), then followed by a slower speed?

In this case, it sounds like the connection is being throttled by the ISP, so I might suggest reaching out to them to see if this is the case here, since uploading via the website works fine.

Let me know if this helps at all!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

joepike
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there
No it does not go faster at all if I relaunch, or reboot, stop start of whatever.It runs in kbs instead of mbs !
( it is puzzling by the way to see that if I wanted to limit my sync speed manually , it only offers you 100kbs max value ... ridiculous as we are in 2021 high speed lines era)
It looks like it confuses megabit speeds with kilobits speed ( the throttle corresponds to half my speed line capability divided by 1000)
The sync just does not work properly , everything else is OK on other sites,on other applications with FTP , FTPS, HTTP HTTPS etc ....  
I move hundreds of GB around and my ISP is not throttling at all ( I send a 80gig dataset to dropbox every 2 weeks,and it takes 1/2 an hour or so but I am obliged to do it outside the sync mechanism) 
( how would I explain that the upload to dropbox works perfectly via the API  or via the upload button but not with sync ? )
I saw some people had the same pb and migrated from Win7 to Win10 and it solved their problem. ( but I am still stuck with Win7 for some time )
And most of all: nowhere is it written that it is incompatible, but if it was working fine last year on some older release of Dropbox app that means some bug has been introduced somehow .

I am puzzled

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @joepike, the upload speed doesn't just depend on the internet speed, but also the CPU of the machine itself, as each file is divided and compressed into hashed components, transferred via secure data transfer, and then encrypted and stored on our servers. 

The faster the processor, the better in general. However, are you certain that there isn't a specific app or service that is restricting the Dropbox app itself? Since the site and the API functions normally, it would need to be something that affects the app in particular.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

joepike
Explorer | Level 3

Hi 

Or that the app is bugged on win7 like others have reported 

I'll give you an example from yesterday 
A folder located on my dropbox folder consisting of 238 files accounting for a total of 117gigabytes ( compressed encryped stuff)
30 files were modified and / or replaced for about 30 gigabytes total so about 25% of the original folder.
The sync was on for 2 days at kbs speed and was still saying "xx files uploading 23hours remaining"
So I then recreated ( copied) locally a folder with the  238 files but instead of copying to my Dropbox folder locally , I sent it via the API of my backup software directly to remote dropbox
It took around 2 hours , not only to send it there but to download  it back from dropbox to my local dropbox folder ( so it did a sync in download instead of upload )
Then i did it again a second time via the "All files" upload button on the browser ... same performance ... around 2 hours total which is great .

And my original sync was still going on ...at kbs speeds....  I finally deleted the local folder completely.
This is happening on a 4+4 core I7 with 16gig of RAM  ... believe me it was loaded at 10% max when I ran the test. (It went up to 70% when I encrypted again the folder to send it via the API).

Anyway from what I read , I am not the only one, so upto the end of my dropbox subscription , I'll use a bypass and then find a more permanent solution.

Thanks anyway 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?