cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync: How long does it take to get a correct number of free disk space after first usage?

Smart Sync: How long does it take to get a correct number of free disk space after first usage?

msfg
Explorer | Level 4

I just started workin with smart sync by upgrading my plan.

Is there an practical knowledge how long it takes to show a correct amount of free space in OSX? I have just 50GB of data on my harddisk - the other 200GB are marked as "online" in smart-sync but my drive's state is still 250GB in OSX. In fact every file which is stored as a smart sync placeholder has a weight of 0kbyte on the system. 

I already read the article and the behaviour of OSX here: https://www.dropbox.com/de/help/desktop-web/smart-sync

just wanted to know if somebody is experienced with the behaviour and how long it takes to get a correct number of free space on the disk

thanks for any hints/experciences

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Smart Sync: How long does it take to get a correct number of free disk space after first usage?

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @msfg - most appreciated.

If this is not caused by an antivirus, firewall or VPN/proxy setting (let me know if you have any of those and/or disable them for a while for troubleshooting's sake) we'll need to switch to email communication as I'd need more information and all of my tools available to look into this. 

Last but not least, I couldn't help but notice that you're using a Beta build currently and you could experience some issues or an inconsistent experience since these builds are still in the testing process. Read on below on how to remove yourself from early releases and then install our latest stable version of the desktop app (currently 61.4.95): 

Spoiler

This will ensure that the application does not automatically update to the beta build after you install the latest stable build: 

1. Log in to www.Dropbox.com using your web browser.
  2. Click on your name at the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click on "Settings".
  4. From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

Then, use the following link to install the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application:  https://www.dropbox.com/download

Once you install the stable build, it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

I hope this helps to some extent and please keep me posted on your findings. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: Smart Sync: How long does it take to get a correct number of free disk space after first usage?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @msfg - how are you today?

Can you first let me know if you have rebooted your computer at all lately? Also, can you take a look at the Dropbox icon in your menu bar (Mac) and let me know what the message being displayed reads?

Moreover, note that there are various places to see the size of a file in your Finder. Some of these locations will display the logical size, others the physical size. As you noticed, a Smart Sync placeholder takes up approximately 0kb, this is the pysical size. The logical size of the file is the actual size of the file, if it were downloaded to the device.

To see both the logical and physical file size:
- Right click on a file/folder
- Select 'Get info'
- In the properties window you will see the original file size, followed by the actual on-disk size  

For example:428,510 bytes (0 KB on disk)

It is important to be able to view both sizes, not just to reassure you that the file is not taking up space, but also to understand the space and speed implications of returning the file(s).

In other views of Finder, the operating system will report the logical size. For this reason you shouldn't be concerned if it initially appears that the placeholder is taking up space. To confirm the file or folder is not taking up space, please check via the above steps. Files that are not taking up space on disk will have an icon overlay that changes from the usual green tick to the grey cloud icon, denoting that the file isn't locally present.

Having said that and as I'd really like to help with this, could you provide me with some screenshots showing the discrepancy you outlined in your inquiry?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

msfg
Explorer | Level 4

@Walter  schrieb:

Hey there @msfg - how are you today?

thanks - I'm fine 😉 

Can you first let me know if you have rebooted your computer at all lately? Also, can you take a look at the Dropbox icon in your menu bar (Mac) and let me know what the message being displayed reads?

yes, I rebooted the mac and everything is fine. Also with the system extension installed for using smart sync

Moreover, note that there are various places to see the size of a file in your Finder. Some of these locations will display the logical size, others the physical size. As you noticed, a Smart Sync placeholder takes up approximately 0kb, this is the pysical size. The logical size of the file is the actual size of the file, if it were downloaded to the device.

To see both the logical and physical file size:
- Right click on a file/folder
- Select 'Get info'
- In the properties window you will see the original file size, followed by the actual on-disk size  

For example:428,510 bytes (0 KB on disk)

It is important to be able to view both sizes, not just to reassure you that the file is not taking up space, but also to understand the space and speed implications of returning the file(s).

all good so far as I can see:

think whats currently missing are the icons. They dissapeared since yesterday

In other views of Finder, the operating system will report the logical size. For this reason you shouldn't be concerned if it initially appears that the placeholder is taking up space. To confirm the file or folder is not taking up space, please check via the above steps. Files that are not taking up space on disk will have an icon overlay that changes from the usual green tick to the grey cloud icon, denoting that the file isn't locally present.

yes, that worked until yesterday

Having said that and as I'd really like to help with this, could you provide me with some screenshots showing the discrepancy you outlined in your inquiry?

yes - I inserted a few ones in my answers.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the response @msfg - most appreciated. 

From what I see on your screenshots everything seems normal apart from your syncing icons. As you can see the file's size in your hard disk is minuscule (taking up 0 bytes on your hard drive as you can tell on your first screenshot). 

Now, as I'd like to see into this a bit further, could you let me know if the deskto app is running at the moment? If so, could you send me a screenshot of the exact message that is shown there when you mouse over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar

Thanks in advance and happy Monday!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

msfg
Explorer | Level 4

From what I see on your screenshots everything seems normal apart from your syncing icons. As you can see the file's size in your hard disk is minuscule (taking up 0 bytes on your hard drive as you can tell on your first screenshot). 

yes, syncing icons are gone... no idea what happend.

yes, the file-size (difference between logical and physicla size) ist correct. But the system calulcates the wrong amount of free disk-space and shows the logical size: Free = 468GB / real free = 620GB.  Thats strange if you try to evaluate, how much space is free on my disk. But its ok. I'll resintall my OSX soon new from scratch.

Now, as I'd like to see into this a bit further, could you let me know if the deskto app is running at the moment? If so, could you send me a screenshot of the exact message that is shown there when you mouse over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar

yes sure: 

best regards

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @msfg - most appreciated.

If this is not caused by an antivirus, firewall or VPN/proxy setting (let me know if you have any of those and/or disable them for a while for troubleshooting's sake) we'll need to switch to email communication as I'd need more information and all of my tools available to look into this. 

Last but not least, I couldn't help but notice that you're using a Beta build currently and you could experience some issues or an inconsistent experience since these builds are still in the testing process. Read on below on how to remove yourself from early releases and then install our latest stable version of the desktop app (currently 61.4.95): 

Spoiler

This will ensure that the application does not automatically update to the beta build after you install the latest stable build: 

1. Log in to www.Dropbox.com using your web browser.
  2. Click on your name at the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click on "Settings".
  4. From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

Then, use the following link to install the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application:  https://www.dropbox.com/download

Once you install the stable build, it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

I hope this helps to some extent and please keep me posted on your findings. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    msfg Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?