cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync - Windows Explorer Search Not Working

Smart Sync - Windows Explorer Search Not Working

bwhight
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am testing Smart Sync for our team.  All fine but when files are 'Online Only', Windows Explorer search can't fined them.  I have tried a few PCs in our team and all have the same problem, so I dont think it is an individual PC issue.  We are all running Windows 10.  Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lucio
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Windows search functionality, that allows finding files set to online-only through the Smart Sync feature, is now available on computers with versions of Windows 8 and above, starting with the beta version 60.3 of the Dropbox desktop application that you can find here.

When this is available in the stable version 60.4 next week, your computer should automatically update and receive the fix.

Thanks to all that reported this and we appreciate your patience on this matter.

Happy syncing!

Positive vibe!

View solution in original post

55 Replies 55

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
I don't know if that's the intended outcome or not, but it would make sense. The files aren't in Explorer anymore, so Windows might not be able to index them.

bwhight
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:
I don't know if that's the intended outcome or not, but it would make sense. The files aren't in Explorer anymore, so Windows might not be able to index them.

Thanks Rich.  Im pretty sure the idea is the files work in exactly the same way, so are searchable when 'Online Only'.  Dropbox Support have said they are looking at it, but a couple of weeks have passed now without an update.

LeeCujes
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

We're having the exact same issue on certain Windows 10 installations - some but not all.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey LeeCujes

Welcome to the Dropbox Community, glad to work on that with you! 

It is my understanding that this has been a team-wide issue. Please keep in mind that, because SmartSynced files are indexed on your computer (they leave a placeholder), this shouldn’t have been occurring. To my mind, since you mention that it doesn’t affect all devices on your team, it’s OS-specific, therefore it has to do with the way your files are indexed locally. Just as a first troubleshooting step, could you please make sure that Dropbox is included on the indexing options of these devices (you may find more information if you run a google-search for it)? 

If this persists and obstructs functionality, I’d suggest that you raised a ticket with the team, describing the case and letting us know the users and devices that are affected. 

I’d be more than glad to troubleshoot this with you, if you send me a ticket ID in your reply!

Thanks in advance, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

LeeCujes
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for your response JaneA.

I can confirm that Dropbox is included in the "Indexed Locations". I've confirmed the Windows 10 indexing options are the same as those on a machine which is searching as intended.

Further, I have rebuilt the search index from scratch - no result.

It is as though the "online only" stubs are invisible to Windows search on this machine.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Regards

Lee

LeeCujes
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I made a quick screencast demonstrating the behaviour - showing a folder with 'online only' stubs, and Windows refusing to show the files in a search. Screencast: http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cbhTXMXpxf

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey LeeCujes

Thanks for your prompt reply and the screencast, much appreciated! 

Please keep in mind that at the moment I can't load your screencast on my device, for security reasons, though, because I feel that we can figure out a solution together, I'd have to ask you to send it in to me on a ticket, where I could check the accounts of the affected members. Please write in to us and let me know a ticket ID here, so that I follow-up with you. 

Thanks in advance for your cooperation, looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

stephanb
New Super User
Go to solution

This does not work on my end either. Windows 10. Is this supposed to work? i.e, is it supported? I can only search locally synced content that is indexed.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey sberna

Happy to work on this issue with you, since this shouldn't be happening. 

Online only files are indexed normally on your computer, therefore the search should have looked into your computer, as if these files took up physical space. 

Because I can see that you have already opened a new ticket with us, could you reply there, in order to check the case? 

Thanks for your cooperation!

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?