cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox desktop app able to search online-only files

Smart Sync - Windows Explorer Search Not Working

bwhight
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am testing Smart Sync for our team.  All fine but when files are 'Online Only', Windows Explorer search can't fined them.  I have tried a few PCs in our team and all have the same problem, so I dont think it is an individual PC issue.  We are all running Windows 10.  Any ideas?

55 Replies 55

SteveWeston
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Agreed. Same here. We are in process of changing our business account over to OneDrive. We are testing now, but if this does not get resolved ASAP, we have no choice. DROPBOX MODERATOR: ANY UPDATES?

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Following in the hope of getting an answer 

Frank G.13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Long time user of Dropbox;

Here's the solution;

*Onedrive*

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi folks,

I wanted to jump in again as my other posts are getting lost in the thread.

This is something we are aware of, it's also something we are working very hard on internally to resolve. Navigating this particular OS behavior is not a simple, quick fix. We've been working on it for some time due to the complexities and dependencies. We also have to put any fix through rigorous internal testing before we release it into the beta, then stable.

At present we are still testing internally and I hope to be able to update in the near future and give you all an idea of when this will land first in the beta.

Many thanks!

brianchris
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Still no update...nothing to report on this fix, correct?

mxoh
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hi there,

I am a Dropbox Business admin using Windows 10 with Dropbox desktop app installed. For online-only files, can they be indexed and searched through file explorer rather than dropbox.com? I initially thought that this is not possible but someone I know who is also a business user said that he is able to search his online-only files on file explorer. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, online-only files generally cannot be searched for in the OS search engine, since the files are physically not on the computer. Even the filenames you see aren’t really there, since each file is a placeholder grabbing basic details from the Dropbox site.

As to why that other user is able to search, it might be to do with their configuration, or if the files were previously made local and a cache somehow exists on their machine. Regardless, this shouldn’t really happen, so this might only be a temporary behavior.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mxoh
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hi @Jay Thanks for the quick response! As I was digging more into this after I posted the query, I another forum thread that talked about this https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/Smart-Sync-Windows-Explorer-Search-Not-... 

Now I am a bit confused because on that thread it seems that searching for online-only files should be possible and Dropbox is currently looking into this issue? 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I’ll move this thread into that one for my colleague to see it. If OS search is supposed to be able to find the online-only files, then our dev team is already on the case it seems.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JR_Baas
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am having the problem with Windows 7 as well as Windows 10. Still no fix?

Need more support?