cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: There was an error opening this document.

Smart Sync error - "There was an error opening this document"

awitzburg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can access files on dropbox website, however on all computers utilizing smartsync, every time you try and open a file from the dropbox folder, it says "There was an error opening this doucment. The file cannot be accessed by the system."

I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling dropbox and the same issue persisted. Same issue accross all computers in my office. 

54 Replies 54

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the reports, I’ve forwarded this info to our team to conduct an investigation on it as we speak.

I’ll update you here when I receive an update on this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

thsuhart
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This seems to only have become an issue today after Windows forced an update. I hope there is a resolution soon! 

larsdennert
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Smart Sync has started refusing to retrieve online only files on demand. The opening app returns an error that the file can't be read or is corrupted. I have to make them local to open the files. We are talking pdfs and word docs so small files. Tried rebooting and I have an internet connection, after all, I'm posting this. Windows Pro 1803 DB client 63.4.102

Andrew K.45
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue here, just started today 12/12/18.  This is urgent.

larsdennert
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Same here, though my PC has not recieved any updates recently from MS. I have those delayed out a couple of weeks.

Alex2222
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Same issue here

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution
Same issue here with 3 different clients and several computers.

This issue started today December 12. We need a quick resolution.

larsdennert
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Thumbnails also do not populate on online only files.

ykoutsikos
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here. Proposed workaround does work but obviously is not a solution.

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

@Jay wrote:
Thanks for the reports, I’ve forwarded this info to our team to conduct an investigation on it as we speak.

I’ll update you here when I receive an update on this matter.

Has this been escalated as level3 incident? This is a Global Wide issue. Apparently is related with a MS Update but is affecting lot of users with SmartSync.

I received a call from another 3 clients with the same issue. We already try disabling AV/Antimalware, same issue.

The only workaround is to right click and select the Smartsync / Local option so the users can download files/folders locally but this can be used only on temporary basis.

Need more support?