cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync error - "There was an error opening this document"

Smart Sync error - "There was an error opening this document"

awitzburg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can access files on dropbox website, however on all computers utilizing smartsync, every time you try and open a file from the dropbox folder, it says "There was an error opening this doucment. The file cannot be accessed by the system."

I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling dropbox and the same issue persisted. Same issue accross all computers in my office. 

54 Replies 54

Andrew K.45
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I second the necessity of escalation, our phones are blowing up with Dropbox issues.   

MohamedSalih
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have same issue, please let us know if this is solved and how. Thank you !

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
To keep you all posted, our engineers are aware of this issue and are working on a fix.

Will let you know more when I know more.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

OasisArch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We are experiencing the same issue with online only files not automatically opening when selected. We are an architectural firm and rely on dropbox heavily. Having to change each working file to local first before opening is becoming annoying.

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

@OasisArch wrote:

We are experiencing the same issue with online only files not automatically opening when selected. We are an architectural firm and rely on dropbox heavily. Having to change each working file to local first before opening is becoming annoying.

as a workaround, don't change the smartsync setting for a file but for a folder. if you are working with an specific folder, setup the folder as Smartsync/Local so all folder content is downloaded. 

First time I see this issue with smartsync. Anyone knows the KB number of the MS update who break Dropbox smartsync feature?

CST2000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

KB4471324 on our Windows 10 machines

sisinger
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue.  please notify when resolved. 

Glenn P.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue.

"Files cannot be accessed by the system"

Jamiea
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Why is this marked as solved when it's still not working?

greentickback
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Solved? You mean broken right?
Need more support?