cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync is a total disaster

Smart Sync is a total disaster

Robert W.6
New member | Level 2

Smart Sync continues to be a total disaster for me, from the moment it was released.

I have gone through three windows installations now, and on every single one, I continuously get files that are downloaded which I didn't access... why won't it stop!

I have plenty of disk space for everything in my dropbox and I hate this "feature" and I want it completely removed.  How do I do that?  I've been a loyal dropbox user for YEARS.  My wife and I each pay for our own accounts because we used to feel Dropbox was worth it.  This thing nearly has me at my wits end.  

4 Replies 4

Re: Smart Sync is a total disaster

Rich
Super User II

@Robert W.6 wrote:

I continuously get files that are downloaded which I didn't access...

Something on your computer is accessing them. Any process that accesses an Online-only file will cause it to be downloaded and marked as Local once again. It could be an antivirus scan, file backup, a file browser that generates thumbnails, etc. If a file is touched, it's downloaded.

I have plenty of disk space for everything in my dropbox and I hate this "feature" and I want it completely removed.  How do I do that?

Simply don't use it. Make sure the Save Hard Drive Space setting in Preferences is turned off, and New Files is set to Local. Both are on the Sync tab in Dropbox's Preferences.

Robert W.6
New member | Level 2

Thank you for the quick reply Rich, but the "Save Hard drive space automatically" feature has been turned off from the moment I installed the dropbox app.

I don't see any "New File" option.  Do you mean the "Files added on web default: " setting?  That is also set to local.

Rich
Super User II

@Robert W.6 wrote:

I don't see any "New File" option.  Do you mean the "Files added on web default: " setting?  That is also set to local.

That could be it. I'm on the beta version on Windows, so perhaps it's called something else.

de38ad4ad680748a63bea4e28a5a3268.png

Robert W.6
New member | Level 2

Yes, thats most likely the same setting... although I wonder if it actually has different behavior in the beta version compared to the current release.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Robert W.6 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?