cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Our Community can help you set up and make Dropbox work for you. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Smart Sync: not freeing space

Helpful | Level 5

Hi everyone,

I've installed DropBox on a new iMac. Everything seems to work well except... Smart Sync. 

I've rendered some videos and placed them in my DB folder on my system SSD as DropBox cannot function well on other HD. Once all files were synced, I asked to have them online only. 

DropBox says it's up to date, the icons next to the files show they are online only.

Yet, no space has been freed from my SSD. I'm stuck as I cannot move forward in my work: my system SSD is now almost full. I've naturally backed up my files on another HD but I really need to free some space on my system SSD (files are taking 400Go out of 512Go...).

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65). I have the same version on my laptop and so far I've had no issues.

Thanks for your help!

Celine

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync: not freeing space

Helpful | Level 5

Hi everyone,

I haven't been able to go further into my investigations as I was travelling abroad.

Yet, on Tuesday, I found out the same issue had started happening on my MacBook Pro.

Yesterday I went on to find a solution and ... SmartSync had miraculously started working properly again. Checked on my office computer and it did work perfectly too.

Just for my sanity: has there been an update?

Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Super User II
Super User II

The files could still be in Dropbox's cache. You might want to read through the solutions pinned to the top of the following thread:

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the prompt answer.

Maybe my explanation wasn't thorough enough. I've tried all solutions listed:

- ISSUE 1: can’t enable Smart Sync at all.
My files sync, this is not my case.

- ISSUE 2: I’m on a Professional plan & I can’t get Smart Sync to work either
I haven't had any warning about enabling a system extension when I installed my DropBox. Could it be that I need to do it manually even if not prompted? If so, how can I do it?

- ISSUE 3: I’ve made my files online-only, though they’re still using up my storage locally.
I've emptied my cache, no success at all.

My DropBox is excluded from my Time Machine. Yet, it has done one back-up before I could exclude the DropBox folder. Could it be linked to this one back-up?

Thanks for your help!

Celine

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi everyone,

I haven't been able to go further into my investigations as I was travelling abroad.

Yet, on Tuesday, I found out the same issue had started happening on my MacBook Pro.

Yesterday I went on to find a solution and ... SmartSync had miraculously started working properly again. Checked on my office computer and it did work perfectly too.

Just for my sanity: has there been an update?

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Need more support?