cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync options are missing on my context menu

Smart Sync options are missing on my context menu

MimiB
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have scoured the forums for help. There is no "Smart Sync" Option when I right click on a folder on my business dropbox. I used to have the option, it disappeared 2 days ago. 

Pertinent info - Windows 10, version 71.4.108, Business account

I have already rebooted countless times, uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, checked or completed everything in this article https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/smart-sync-experiencing-issue and completed an advanced reinstall of the app per this post https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Smart-Sync-options-are-missing-on-my-context-men... 

I do have green checks but no syncing arrows in windows explorer. I also appear to have lost at least some files during this process. 

I am at a loss but I would sure like to be able to smart sync again

27 Replies 27

MimiB
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes we got it resolved. We did a more in-depth removal of dropbox even than the one I found above followed by repeating several of the same simpler steps outlined above and finally something triggered it to work. I can't tell you exactly what worked because I have no idea to be honest. Something in the sequence of events maybe. 

wml
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This worked for me. If you have trouble completely deleting Dropbox.app from your Mac, go to Applications and open Package Contents. Click on the folder and trash the Plugins folder. After doing this, you should be able to delete Dropbox from your computer.

UPDATE: Once my local files got reindexed, the Smart Sync option again disappeared from my context menu. I waited several days because of the issues with High Sierra operating system on Mac, but it was still missing. I looked in my DropBox app, Preferences (General), and saw that it said Dropbox Smart Sync was not enabled. I clicked to enable it. The link appeared to be inactive, but it worked. The message disappeared from Preferences and the Smart Sync option is now visible on my top level folder context menus.

rowbear97
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was expereincing the same issue as stated with the Windows user in this string but running a Mac using Mojave version 10.14.5 (18F132). I used CleanMyMac X to remove the desktop app and reinstall fixing the issue.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey peeps, thanks for letting us know what did the trick for you - awesome work on the troubleshooting! :sunglasses:

If there's anything we can help with or if you have questions, please don't hesitate to give us a shout. Cheers! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

gadgets906
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Having problem syncing with windows 7 and windows 10. Any ideas on how to correct this. Worked perfectly than stopped when windows 10 was uploaded to my windows 7 computer!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @gadgets906, thanks for checking in with us. 

As a first step, I'd recommend giving a simple reinstall of the desktop app that's not syncing a try. To do this:

1. Make sure you save and quit all apps use files in the Dropbox folder. 
  2. Stop Dropbox from running by selecting on Quit Dropbox when you click on the Dropbox icon that's on your system tray. 
  3. Uninstall the desktop app.
  4. Reboot your computer to ensure that you complete the uninstall.
  5. Download and install the latest version of the desktop app

If that doesn't do the trick for you, please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you hover over your Dropbox icon. 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

StephenDoherty
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you very much... this fixed my Dropbox Discrepancy with the Smart Sync.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, @StephenDoherty

If anything else comes up, just give us a shout. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    StephenDoherty New member | Level 2
    gadgets906 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?