cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync seems to be more trouble than it's worth and is extremely frustrating to deal with

Smart Sync seems to be more trouble than it's worth and is extremely frustrating to deal with

twedlake
Explorer | Level 3

any file, regardless of file type, if set to sync online only presents error when trying to open with or without the dropbox application open and signed into. 

**NOTE**
If I set any of these files to local, they open just fine as they have for years so please don't ask me if it works when setting to local.

Specs but irrelevant as it happens on any machine
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
i7-1065G7 1.3
32GB
Dropbox 97.4.467

JPG
jpg.PNG

PDF
pdf.PNG

XLSX
xlsx.PNG

DOC
doc.PNG

Also with Smartsync - fresh install works perfectly fine.  Where the problem comes in with this error being presented is when any table, phone, ipad or android connect to it.  I can do a fresh install of dropbox and not connect and portable device and it will work fine without seeing this error message for days on end.  The second I attach any portable device to it (again regardless whether apple or android) this message appears shortly afterwards.

error.PNG

3 Replies 3

Re: Smartsync seems to be more trouble than it's worth and is extremely frustrating to deal with any

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @twedlake, thanks for reaching out to us. 

As a first step, could you check out this article which provides some troubleshooting when the desktop app reports that Smart Sync is experiencing an issue?

Let me know of any updates, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Smartsync seems to be more trouble than it's worth and is extremely frustrating to deal with any

twedlake
Explorer | Level 3

i read that article many months ago and it resolves NOTHING and truthfully, doesn't even come close to having anything to do with the issues I have have here.

The error DOES NOT APPEAR until the first time ANY portable device (iphone or android) is connected.  As long as no portable device is EVER connected, the error is not there.  Furthermore, it's just an error message that appears to have ZERO effect on anything and the two issues I have here have nothing to do with each other in any way.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @twedlake

Out of curiosity, do you have any third party apps that interact with the desktop app when you connect another device to your computer? 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?