cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Smart Synced files are still taking space on my Windows 10 device.

Helpful | Level 5

Sadly, I have the exact same problem with Win 10 Home 1903

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Smart sync - specific files still retained on local disk

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, Daphne but, it looks like it was "operator error"rather than a problem with DropBox.

I keep my LightRoom photo library, about 65,000 images) on an external USB drive and move it around to my different computers as necessary. I have the Win10 system Dropbox setup so that it will treat it as a camera/memory card and will upload the pictures to DropBox's camera roll. I think I have it setup so the pics are ony stored in the cloud. I did they bychanging the CameralRoll folder Smart Sync to "online ony"

When I pugged the external drive back into the Win10 machine it properly identifed 61 pics as being new or changed. Apparently it firstimports them to the computer's main hard disk and then does the upload and once successfully uploaded changes the icon to a cloud. 

I saw the new green checkmark icons on my main hard disk and thought DropBox was failing, it wasn't. I was. So, I once again marked the CameraRoll folder as "Online only". This caused DropBox to reindex everything and while it was reindexing it reported an extra 500+ GB of drive C as being used. Hence, my post.

After I posted I did a chat with DropBox Support and Everett helped me figure it out.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @AugustFalcon, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Since the thread you originally posted in was related to an issue with Mac devices, I've moved your comment here so we can troubleshoot together.

When you're making files available "online only" with Smart Sync, do the files then show the grey cloud icon next to them? 

Can you let me know where you see the actual size of the file still taking space on your hard drive?

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, Daphne but, it looks like it was "operator error"rather than a problem with DropBox.

I keep my LightRoom photo library, about 65,000 images) on an external USB drive and move it around to my different computers as necessary. I have the Win10 system Dropbox setup so that it will treat it as a camera/memory card and will upload the pictures to DropBox's camera roll. I think I have it setup so the pics are ony stored in the cloud. I did they bychanging the CameralRoll folder Smart Sync to "online ony"

When I pugged the external drive back into the Win10 machine it properly identifed 61 pics as being new or changed. Apparently it firstimports them to the computer's main hard disk and then does the upload and once successfully uploaded changes the icon to a cloud. 

I saw the new green checkmark icons on my main hard disk and thought DropBox was failing, it wasn't. I was. So, I once again marked the CameraRoll folder as "Online only". This caused DropBox to reindex everything and while it was reindexing it reported an extra 500+ GB of drive C as being used. Hence, my post.

After I posted I did a chat with DropBox Support and Everett helped me figure it out.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your update @AugustFalcon.

I'm glad to hear that you got this all worked out in the end with Everett's help!

If you need anything else, then please feel free to give me a nudge here and I'd be happy to help out.

I hope you have a great start to the week!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?