cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart sync and Time Machine

Smart sync and Time Machine

Roger L.2
Helpful | Level 6

I understand that Smart Sync and Time Machine don't play well together, and I more or less understand why (as a side note, this strikes me as a big issue for the Dropbox folks, which they need to figure out some way to address; Time Machine is an important Mac application, and people need to be able to use it).

Having learned about this problem, I'm trying to move back to Selective Sync rather than Smart Sync. I have a couple of questions:

1. How do I turn off Smart Sync? Is it as simple as just asking for some folders to be selectively synced? There doesn't appear to be a "don't use Smart Sync" option.

2. How can I find all folders and files that are smart synced? Is there a better/easier way than scanning the file list looking for tiny non-green icons?

4 Replies 4

Re: Smart sync and Time Machine

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @Roger L.2, thanks for reaching out to us about this!

In general, we recommend great caution when running the Dropbox desktop app and third party backup apps, as it could lead to various unexpected behaviors, such as permission issues and even data loss

You can check out this thread and this one which discuss a bit more on the matter. 

As for Smart Sync, there isn't a direct way that you could see which files are Smart Synced (like an exported list of online-only files). However, you can tell from the sync icons as they appear on the desktop app and File Explorer/Finder. 

For example, if a path has an online-only file, the folder will have a mixed state with a white icon with a green tick.

If you don't want to use Smart Sync, you can opt out of the system extension by following the steps shown here

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Roger L.2
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks. I will just note, however, that Time Machine *is not* a third-party backup app. It is an integral part of MacOS, and if Dropbox continues to fail to support it, that seems like a bad business decision.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for your feedback and taking the time to share your thoughts with us, @Roger L.2!

I understand that this isn't the ideal situation for you, but if there's anything else I can help with, please let me know. 

In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Roger L.2
Helpful | Level 6

Just to be clear. I'm not simply pointing out that it's not an ideal situation. Millions of people use MacOS, and most of them use Time Machine. If you don't properly support Time Machine, it's hard to see how you can say you support MacOS. Don't get me wrong, I will continue to use Dropbox, at least for the present, but this really seems like a pretty big hole in your application.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Roger L.2 Helpful | Level 6
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?