cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart sync icons missing

Smart sync icons missing

Greg T.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The venerable "missing smart sync icons" problem.

• MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 
  • Dropbox 64.4.141.  (Professional Acct)
  • Have reinstalled DB several times (including via full desktop download).
  • Tried the "check-uncheck finder integration"  (have uncheck, uninstalled, reinstalled, rechecked, too).
  • Have unlinked account and relinked account.
  • ForceQuit finder more times than I can remember.
  • Have ForceQuit the Dropbox Finder Integration app.. every time b/f restarting or trying fresh install.

Menu options for local vs OnlineOnly are active and work. Just can't tell looking at any file/folder in Finder whether it is local or online only.

What am I missing?

OneDrive does this, no problem.  Just about at my ropes end with DB.

121 Replies 121

lynmac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Meanwhile, thank you for the break over the summer months, but here we are back to uninstalling/reinstalling the Dropbox app to try and recover my smartsync icons yet again!  Even though when I logged on it said... "up to date".

Oh the joys... 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm sorry to hear you're having persistent issues with this @lynmac!

Can you let me know which version of the app you have installed at the moment?

Also, when you're looking at your files, are you using your computer's default file browser (File Explorer or Finder) or the app interface? Otherwise, are you using a third-party file browser?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lynmac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@Daphne 

Hi Daphne, I'm using V105.4.651 and using Finder where I can quickly see if the SmartSync "cloud" icon is displayed or not.

Thanks 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @lynmac!

Can you just confirm for me if the sync status is showing "up to date" when you notice this issue?

What OS version is your device running at the moment?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Clément C.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@nelewis wrote:

Dropbox, please make a first-line response to go to System Preferences --> Extensions and simply uncheck all of the boxes and recheck them. That is way simpler than uninstalling and de-linking Dropbox a million times because we're told that will solve the problem.

Nelewis, Thanks! Too bad your post is on page 4.

After trying everything mentioned plus re-installing dropbox, re-syncing etc,

this method finally worked!!! Don't focus on the fellow clouds messing around assertion.

Didn't even need to restart finder (mac OS 10.15.7)

atleasttwocharacterslong
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@nelewis wrote:

Dropbox, please make a first-line response to go to System Preferences --> Extensions and simply uncheck all of the boxes and recheck them. That is way simpler than uninstalling and de-linking Dropbox a million times because we're told that will solve the problem.

Tried many of the suggestions here, but @nelewis' answer fixed it. THANK YOU!

Clément C.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

By the way I noticed that the Keka finder integration extension is causing troubles with the the Dropbox icons

jemenake
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Like user ucblu, I'm also using the NewFileMenu extension, and disabling that brought all of the sync-state badges back.

What's a little interesting is that, if I change any of the files to be online-only or locally-stored, the icon does update when the problematic extension is enabled (in other words, I disabled NewFileMenu and then re-enabled it).

However, if I disable the Dropbox extension, enable the NewFileMenu extension, and then enable the Dropbox extension (i.e. the Dropbox extension gets enabled after the NewFileMenu), then I don't get sync-state badges. Disabling NewFileMenu, after that, brings them back, and the badges update fine. Enabling NewFileMenu still seems to allow the badges to work fine. So, it appears to be an issue with the order they get loaded or enabled.

alfredozn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same problem with extensions.

My DropBox and OneDrive extensions can work together, but the BetterZip one breaks them all

BoxViking
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks! This solved it immediately after many other attempts did not provide any help.

Need more support?