cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart sync icons missing

Smart sync icons missing

Greg T.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The venerable "missing smart sync icons" problem.

• MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 
  • Dropbox 64.4.141.  (Professional Acct)
  • Have reinstalled DB several times (including via full desktop download).
  • Tried the "check-uncheck finder integration"  (have uncheck, uninstalled, reinstalled, rechecked, too).
  • Have unlinked account and relinked account.
  • ForceQuit finder more times than I can remember.
  • Have ForceQuit the Dropbox Finder Integration app.. every time b/f restarting or trying fresh install.

Menu options for local vs OnlineOnly are active and work. Just can't tell looking at any file/folder in Finder whether it is local or online only.

What am I missing?

OneDrive does this, no problem.  Just about at my ropes end with DB.

121 Replies 121

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @cbarberjust, are you on a Dropbox Professional or Business plan? Only these two plans have Smart Sync.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cbarberjust
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, Jay -- I have Dropbox Plus. I didn't realize that gave me access to Selective Sync but not Smart Sync. I enabled Selective Sync and now I'm all set. Thanks for following up. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No worries, have a great evening!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MadeleineH
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have also lost the smart sync function - which is the primary reason we upgraded our Dropbox account. I have tried the above and it has not solved the problem I still cannot smart sync. [email removed by moderator as per Community Guidelines] 

ucblu
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

In my case it is an application that I use to create new files in Finder called NewFileMenu. I have to disable/then re-enable this extension so my Dropbox file/folders sync icons show up again.

Thanks to all for the hint about other extensions interfering with Dropbox or vv.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @MadeleineH, sorry for the late response here!

Can you let me know if you are still having this issue now with not being able to see the sync icons? I’d be more than happy to help with this.

Let me know - Thanks!

PS. @ucblu, I'm glad to see that you were able to find the info you needed on this thread!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Steciu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, I am running El Capitan still (if it works, do not fix it) and I am having the same issue of not seeing the Smart Sync option, and none of the proposed solutions worked for me.

IMHO, we should be able to use Smart Sync without problems regardless of the programs that we actively use. I am sorry to say, but you should fix this problem from your end, not ours. We pay, we pretend a service.

Stefano.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @Steciu,

When you mention that you can’t see the Smart sync options, can you let me know if you are not able to see the option in the menu when Command clicking a file? Or do you not see the syncing icons next to your files to notify you which files are local or online only like the OP described?

To look into this a little further can you also let me know the current sync status and version of the desktop app you have installed on your computer? If you’re not able to see the Dropbox icon in your menu bar then you’ll need to launch the app from your Applications menu.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MichB86
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

I am missing the smart sync icons in my dropbox.

I have tried the above, force quiting finder but they still do not appear.

Please can you help? I am working on a Mac, and have dropbox plus.

Thanks,

Michelle

Steciu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Daphne,

you said: "can you let me know if you are not able to see the option in the menu when Command clicking a file?"

What I do is to right-click on the folder or file that is in the Dropbox, and the only options I have are Share/Copy Dropbox Link/Rewind (which I do not know what it means)/View on Dropbox.com.

You also said: "Or do you not see the syncing icons next to your files to notify you which files are local or online only like the OP described?"

When I look at the content of the Dropbox folder from my Finder, I see a green dot that says that the file has been copied or uploaded to Dropbox (some files I only keep in Dropbox, some others are shared folders with other coworkers). If that is what you mean by "the syncing icons", then I do see them. However, the green dots do not tell me "which files are local or online only".

The current sync status is "up to date", if that is what you mean.

The version of the desktop app is 76.4.126.

I do see the Dropbox icon in the menu bar.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Stefano

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    MLondon Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?