cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart sync icons missing

Smart sync icons missing

Greg T.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The venerable "missing smart sync icons" problem.

• MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 
  • Dropbox 64.4.141.  (Professional Acct)
  • Have reinstalled DB several times (including via full desktop download).
  • Tried the "check-uncheck finder integration"  (have uncheck, uninstalled, reinstalled, rechecked, too).
  • Have unlinked account and relinked account.
  • ForceQuit finder more times than I can remember.
  • Have ForceQuit the Dropbox Finder Integration app.. every time b/f restarting or trying fresh install.

Menu options for local vs OnlineOnly are active and work. Just can't tell looking at any file/folder in Finder whether it is local or online only.

What am I missing?

OneDrive does this, no problem.  Just about at my ropes end with DB.

121 Replies 121

Steciu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Daphne, of course you can reach out to me through my email address! I wil lbe very happy to help.

SC

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for that screenshot, it shows the issue you’re describing perfectly! I noticed that the Dropbox folder appears as a plain folder in the left panel of your Finder window so I’d like to ask you to check that the Finder extension is installed. 

To check this, please go to your “System Preferences” for your computer (accessible from the Dock or the Apple menu). Within the preferences choose the option for “Extensions”, locate the option for “Finder” in the side bar and select this. Do you see an entry for Dropbox here?

If you see an entry here, can you check that the extensions is actually running? You can see this by opening your Activity Monitor where you should see an instance of “Dropbox” running with a white box icon.

Finally, just before we move over to our Support channel, @Steciu can you also just check the above for me too?

Let me know what you find - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Steciu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Daphne,

I confirm that I do see the Dropbox extension active under System Preferences and Extensions. Also, I do see the white box in the activity monitor utility.

Finally, so far so good with the Smart Sync option for me.

Thank you,

Stefano

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Steciu,

Just to confirm, are you able to see the smart sync options now for your Dropbox files? I’ll admit, I’m not 100% certain based on your reply and I’d like to make sure I understand that fully.

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Steciu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes, I am able to see the smart sync option for the Dropbox files. Thanks,

Stefano

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Steciu,

I’m glad to hear that the issues is resolved for you!

If you do experience any other issues with this then please don’t hesitate to reach out to me here.

Have a great day - Thanks! 

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Steciu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Daphne, actually, it would be great if this trick could work not only with OSX Finder but also with PathFinder: https://cocoatech.com/#/

Stefano

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for sharing your thoughts here about this @Steciu!

I’ll make sure to pass along your comments and interest in this along to our dev team for review in future Dropbox improvements. :grinning:

Have a great day - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

kendonnelly
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you. That resolved my problem.

nelewis
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox, please make a first-line response to go to System Preferences --> Extensions and simply uncheck all of the boxes and recheck them. That is way simpler than uninstalling and de-linking Dropbox a million times because we're told that will solve the problem.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    MLondon Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?