cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart sync icons missing

Smart sync icons missing

Greg T.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The venerable "missing smart sync icons" problem.

• MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 
  • Dropbox 64.4.141.  (Professional Acct)
  • Have reinstalled DB several times (including via full desktop download).
  • Tried the "check-uncheck finder integration"  (have uncheck, uninstalled, reinstalled, rechecked, too).
  • Have unlinked account and relinked account.
  • ForceQuit finder more times than I can remember.
  • Have ForceQuit the Dropbox Finder Integration app.. every time b/f restarting or trying fresh install.

Menu options for local vs OnlineOnly are active and work. Just can't tell looking at any file/folder in Finder whether it is local or online only.

What am I missing?

OneDrive does this, no problem.  Just about at my ropes end with DB.

121 Replies 121

EdouardMagnus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This was a persistent problem for me. I tried quitting dropbox and relaunching, force quitting Finder, all the recommendations in this thread. What worked for me was to go to System Preferences -> Extensions and under Finder Extensions I had another app (in this case WhatsYourSign) that also had Finder Extensions clicked. So my recommendation would be to see if any other extensions have Finder Extensions turned on and turn them off.

splaquet
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i can confirm that disabling the OneDrive extension was the solution on my end.  thank you!

VdesmedT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Well, for me OneDrive works fine but Beyond Compare extension was the problem...

RomanyWelson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dears 
I have the same problem 
the smart sync option does not exist at the menu when I Right-click any folder 
you can check the attached snap 
can any one help ?

Screenshot 2020-03-18 00.23.45.png

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @RomanyWelson, thanks for joining the discussion!

Could you try reinstalling the desktop app with admin permissions to see if that does the trick?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

splaquet
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@RomanyWelson,

it's unfortunate that you're also receiving this issue... but just so you're aware, the previous messages within this thread are regarding MacOS integrations.

no worries, but just though you should know.  wasn't sure if you were aware of that and/or kept looking for a solution.

lynmac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

This was a persistent problem for me this morning and nothing seemed to work.  Finally just logged out of Dropbox completely, downloaded the app again, re-installed and presto, the smart sync icons showed up after a brief sync, thankfully.:slight_smile:

lynmac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Well, looks like this is becoming a monthly routine - re-installing Dropbox so that the SmartSync icons appear.

If there's no other solution, perhaps Dropbox could include a reminder to do this.

sevyna9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I don't have smart sync. I am a basic user. I lost my entire desktop after downloading the Dropbox app and it started syncing my entire computer without giving me a choice. When I realized this and tried to stop sync is where I think the problem started. 

I just finally went to my finder and searched for the origonal DESKTOP folder (there was copy made from dropbox made when I tried to find my files).When I found the real origonal (there is a faded icon on the folder) I dragged it to the sidebar and all my files on my desktop came back. 

It's been two weeks. I'm so tired. They need to give more help to mac users, or direct ech assistance for 1 or 2 days for new users.

lynmac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@sevyna9 

Before doing any syncing, suggest opening up the Dropbox app, then going to the online icon in the top bar on your desktop, and changing the preferences to select the files you want synced to Dropbox.  I don't sync all my files as there's some I only want stored on my machine.  I've pulled together a small snapshot and hope it helps.

Hope you have a more positive sync experience and avoid that "sinking" feelling. lol

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 7.42.21 PM.jpg

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    MLondon Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?