cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart sync update for Mac updating at random

Smart sync update for Mac updating at random

New member | Level 2

This will probably need answering (though I fear there may not be an answer and this is more of a bug report) from Dropbox, but if anyone has a solution I will be grateful.

I have turned on smart sync for mac as OSX wasn't recognising online only files as not being on the hard drive. This solvedf this issue.

However, dropbox is now syncing sporadically or not at all, and I have to restart dropbox to get it to update any new files and then when it does it starts syncing 3-4 possibly phantom files and indicates it will be 2+ days to sync, even if it is all up to date. This is making dropbox relatively unusable or at the least quite difficult to navigate and use new or updated files in the dropbox folder.

It is also automatically trying to sync online only files everytime I go to open a file direct from an application, shich often results in the spinning wheel of death for a minute or two whilst dropbox forces downloads on online only files, making it at times impossible to open files direct from apps.

Dropbox, if these are bugs then they really need to be resolved as it is making filesharing very difficult for me (basically it is set up for me to work off two computers as well as data backup with all needed files being available on both laptop and desktop PC).

Everything worked fine apart from OSX thinking it was out of HD space prior to smart sync for Mac, really need a fix for this?

Issues are on a 2017 Macbook Pro running OSX Mojave 10.14.4, file system Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

The other smart synced computer is a PC, Windows 10, which has no issues whatsoever.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Re: Smart sync update for Mac updating at random

Dropboxer

Hi @MPaus; welcome to our Community and thanks for your extensive report. 

I'll be happy to look into this so please could you forward me a screenshot of the exact status of the app as shown within your menu bar and also let me know if you've changed your bandwidth settings through the app's preferences to see if it improves matters at all?

@MPaus wrote:

It is also automatically trying to sync online only files everytime I go to open a file direct from an application, shich often results in the spinning wheel of death for a minute or two whilst dropbox forces downloads on online only files, making it at times impossible to open files direct from apps.

Many processes on your machine look at files that you may have not manually opened and in order to fulfill these requests from these processes Dropbox downloads the files locally to your machine.  Some examples of this include:

• Backup services
  • Antivirus
  • Recently used file lists
  • Third party applications that monitor files in general

If a file has been synced locally that you would prefer to have online-only, simply right click on it and select online-only from the Smart Sync menu.

I hope this clarifies matters to some extent and I'll be looking forward to your response so we can investigate further. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?