cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution for conflicted copies

Solution for conflicted copies

thomaskkang
New member | Level 2

PROBLEM:
When two (or more) users open the same shared file and save different changes independently, Dropbox creates two (or more) branching files. This is a serious deficiency when many users are working on the same file - something that is causing many of the people I share files with to look around for a better solution than Dropbox.

SOLUTION:
Create an additional setting where a user who is making changes on a file to lock that file until the user is finished making changes to the file.

7 Replies 7

Re: Solution for conflicted copies

Rich
Super User II

There is a feature coming that will notify users when someone else has the file open, but it will only be available to Dropbox for Business users. It's called Project Harmony.

IT I.
New member | Level 1

The badges feature works fine for those with the dropbox app on their desktop, however many users aren't using that app.  A way to mark a file as read only while editing would be great.

Mark
Super User II

How would that work though? They'd need to be connected to a desktop to show that it was in use. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

IT I.
New member | Level 1

How about a way to mark it manually?  What I've suggested for our users is that when a user opens a document, spreadsheet or other editable file, they immediately save it as document name - in use - user name.  Then when they are done they rename it as the old name.

If a user could mark the document as read only or in use, which would really be doing the same as above, it would help us with a lot of conflicts.

When a user has a document open in sharepoint, it marks it as read only for all other users until it is closed.

Derek R.2
New member | Level 2

Just do whatever Google Docs does...it works automagically when collaborating on a document (two files being open and worked on)

Ben P.20
New member | Level 2

As Derek R stated.  It needs to be automatic, like google docs.  It's too hard to 'remember' to do any particular thing.  Needs to be fail-safe. 

MetaMedia
Helpful | Level 5

Doc files are not the only types of files. Dropbox is used with vast array of file types.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ben P.20 New member | Level 2
    Derek R.2 New member | Level 2
    IT I. New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?