cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Solved] Dropbox installed on my mac but it won't open and other problems.

[Solved] Dropbox installed on my mac but it won't open and other problems.

Amber J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ok I just switch from a pc to a mac. I installed dropbox from the website and it shows it's in my applications and in my launch pad but when I click the icon it won't launch. I then tried to uninstall it and it doesn't give me that option when I have all my apps wiggling in my launch pad. So I then researched on how to uninstall and I found that I can pull up finder and drag and drop the application to the trash. When I do that I get a message "The item “Dropbox” can’t be moved to the Trash because it’s open.". So then I try and force quit Dropbox and it isn't listed to be forces closed. So I am assuming it isn't running? Help I just want it off my computer. I don't like items on my computer if I don't or can't use them.

Info on my Mac
OS X Yosemite version 10.10

Please remember that any help that is given I need step by step instructions. I've only had my mac for 2 weeks and I am still learning.

32 Replies 32

Leo H.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the same problem and then I found out that Dropbox icon is on top menu bar, but it is not visible due to the fact that it is hidden by current app's commands.

Try to remove other symbols and change to a app with very few commands. Then symbol should come out from the left of the menu bar. 

George I.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Leo H., I wish the issue were so "innocent".

The Activity Monitor -all the time- shows in red·

"Dropbox (Not Responding".

Click to view.

Leo H.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that George I. 

Hopefully you will find solution to your problem. 

George I.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Leo H.

Dropbox support is already working on it, let's hope the best !.

Karen C.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

thank you!

George I.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The solution was a clean installation !.

Tracey S.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Mine won't open, its in the launch pad but when i click it nothing happens? 

George I.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Tracey S.

Please open the Activity Monitor. Is there the process "Dropbox" in red and indicates "not responding" ?.

Sharon Z.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Amber J.  Mine wouldn't open either and was driving me crazy.  Just fount it in the top right-hand corner near wifi like you mentioned above. Now I can follow instructions to disable camera upload, by clicking on the dropbox icon, clicking on the gearbox, clicking Preferences, then clicking on Import and unchecking the Enable camera uploads box!

Alysia M.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

thank you so much for your help lol I was dealing with same issue right now 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Armen A. New member | Level 1
    David L.66 New member | Level 1
    Amber J. New member | Level 1
    suzanne v.1 New member | Level 1
    Sabrina N. New member | Level 1