cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some PPT files keep getting red Xs when shared user opens them

Some PPT files keep getting red Xs when shared user opens them

Christopher D.19
New member | Level 2

Somewhat frequently, I will save a PPT file in Dropbox to be shared with my co-workers, and when they go to open it they receive an error message saying that it needs to be repaired.  When they choose to repair it all of the slides simply have big red Xs on them.  It seems to only happen when a co-worker is opening the file with a Mac (I use a Dell for work).  This only occurs with PPT files, and only some of the time.  I've poked around a bit online, but I haven't found a solution yet.

6 Replies 6

Re: Corrupted PPT file

Mark
Super User II

I'd suggest speaking to Microsoft as it sounds like a PC -> Mac compatibility issue. 

Dropbox doesnt alter files in anyway so Dropbox isnt the issue here, thankfully! 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

Greg, ppt is a 'native' format. What happens if you share a LINK to the file instead of  a shared-folder?

ROBERT L.62
New member | Level 1

When I open pdf files in Dropbox, the information in the file is duplicated (instead of one page, there are two pages with identical information on both pages).  When I download these files onto my computer, there are no duplication issues.

Alexis G.1
Super User

I believe this is an Office or Windows/MAC compatibility issue. Dropbox does not alter files.

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

DB does alter files when they are in a shared-folder and some member's computer has changed a file. This happens so often with ransomware and temporary files that DB should ask, "Do you want these changes from ..."

Alexis G.1
Super User

DB does alter files when they are in a shared-folder and some member's computer has changed a file.

The file was modified by the member, not Dropbox.

This happens so often with ransomware and temporary files that DB should ask, "Do you want these changes from ..."

Then some users will complain about how intrusive Dropbox is. It's better to have Malware protection tools like a good antivirus, anti-malware like malware-bytes and standard permissions for the user to avoid malware infections.

And Backup is the first line of defense.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Alexis G.1 Super User
    Rick M. Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
    ROBERT L.62 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?