cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Some files have the Open Button, Others Do Not - Cannot get Menu Icon

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have been using Dropbox for work on my Mac and on my Windows Computers. Some files have an Open Button and I can edit directly, others do not have the Open Button and only give the Share and Download. I want to have the Open Button on all my files. The Windows Computer has the Open Buttons. The Mac does have Open on select files, but not on other files. How do I get Open on all my files. I do not have the Dropbox Icon on my Mac Menu and can't find it in my Applications. I have MAC OS X 10.7.5 and as I understand, need to have 10.9  .  I have tried it in Safari and Chrome. I checked file names and they all seem to have appropriate characters.  So, I don't think my Mac has the Dropbox Application, I assume certain files are not sync, while others are (the ones I can edit), but am not certain. Why do certain files allow me to Open and edit directly, while other files do not have Open that allows me to edit on my older Mac? How can I get the Open Button to be able to edit on my Mac?  I have been paying for Dropbox Plus, but am using an older 10.7.5 Mac and don't believe I can get the Application. 

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Some files have the Open Button, Others Do Not - Cannot get Menu Icon

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there (@DML), I appreciate your detailed description & thanks for taking the time to compile the bits & pieces in regards to the behavior that seems to be troubling you! 

Now, it will be worth noting that if a file isn’t already downloaded to your computer or mobile device, the Open button will open it in Office Online. The option should appear if this is a personal file or it resides in a shared folder (i.e. where you’ve been granted “Can Edit” access). However if the file owner merely shared a file with you (i.e. they’ve granted you view-only permissions), or the file is password-protected, you will not be given this option. 

I’m wondering if either of the hints I’ve mentioned above apply, though I’d happily investigate a specific example as well. If it’s not too much trouble for you, could you include a shared link (if you’re comfortable sharing of course) to a file where you can see the Open Button on your pc but not on your Mac, in order to check back & see if I’m getting the same results on my end? I’d also appreciate two screenshots (omitting personal info) of what you’re seeing in your next message here, so as to get a better idea of what’s happening.

In case the file contains personal info that shouldn’t be revealed in a public discussion, I could also reach out to you on my end, so please do keep me updated on how you’d like us to proceed here. Thanks in advance & I’ll be awaiting your next reply! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?